Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I've seen this question in a textbook

Calculate the following commutator [[AB,iℏ], A]

I'm not to sure how you go about it i know [A,B] = AB-BA

Physics news on Phys.org
Let ##C=[AB,i\hbar]##.
Find ##[C,A]##
Substitute the definition for ##C## in the result you got.

Last edited:
Likes chris1223123
kuruman said:
Let ##C=[AB,i\hbar]##.
Find ##[C,A]##
Substitute the definition for ##C## in the result you got.
Thank you! that makes sense

You can also start by calculating the inner commutator ##[AB,i \hbar]##.

Likes chris1223123

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures how two operators, in this case A and B, interact with each other. It is represented by the symbol [A,B] and is defined as the difference between the product of A and B and the product of B and A.

2. What does the double bracket notation [[A,B],C] mean?

The double bracket notation [[A,B],C] represents the commutator of the commutator [A,B] and the operator C. This notation is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the commutator of multiple operators.

3. How do you calculate the commutator [[AB,iℏ], A]?

To calculate the commutator [[AB,iℏ], A], we first use the definition of a commutator to expand it as [AB,A] - [iℏ,A]. Then, we apply the commutator rule [AB,A] = A[B,A] + [A,A]B to get A[B,A] - [iℏ,A]. Finally, we use the commutator rule [iℏ,A] = iℏ[A,A] + [iℏ,A]A = iℏA + [iℏ,A]A = 0 + [iℏ,A]A = [iℏ,A]A to simplify the expression to A[B,A] - [iℏ,A]A.

4. What is the significance of the commutator [[AB,iℏ], A] in quantum mechanics?

The commutator [[AB,iℏ], A] is significant in quantum mechanics because it represents the uncertainty relation between two observables A and B. The commutator is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely one observable is known, the less precisely the other can be known.

5. How does the value of [[AB,iℏ], A] affect the measurement of observables A and B?

The value of [[AB,iℏ], A] affects the measurement of observables A and B by determining the degree of uncertainty between the two observables. If the commutator is zero, then the two observables commute and can be measured simultaneously with no uncertainty. However, if the commutator is non-zero, then the two observables do not commute and there will be some degree of uncertainty in their measurements.