Expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states

In summary, the conversation is about finding the expected value of the variance of energy in coherent states, but there is uncertainty due to the non-hermitian and non-commutative nature of the lowering and raising operators. The solution involves using the commutator property to reduce the calculation to a simpler form.
graviton_10
Homework Statement
Find the variance of the energy in coherent state |ɑ>.
Relevant Equations
<ΔH> = <ɑ| HH |ɑ>
I am trying to find the expected value of the variance of energy in coherent states. But since the lowering and raising operators are non-hermitian and non-commutative, I am not sure if I am doing it right. I'm pretty sure my <H>2 calculation is right, but I'm not sure about <H2> calculation.

Here is my solution:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-25 at 3.08.54 AM.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Likes Terrakron
Physics news on Phys.org
1677335473758.png

Check the step circled in orange. ##a^\dagger## and ##a## don't commute.

Likes vanhees71 and Terrakron
Yes, but how to do it the right way?

graviton_10 said:
Yes, but how to do it the right way?
Please post the steps for how you reduced ##\langle \alpha | (a^{\dagger} a)^2|\alpha \rangle## to ##|\alpha^*\alpha|^2 \langle \alpha | \alpha \rangle##. That way, we can help you see where you made a mistake.

So, I used the fact that the commutator of a and a dagger is 1. Does it look good now?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-27 at 2.51.33 PM.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 61
That looks good.

1. What is the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states?

The expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states is a measure of the spread or variability of the Hamiltonian operator in a coherent state. It represents the average deviation of the Hamiltonian operator from its mean value in a coherent state.

2. How is the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states calculated?

The expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states is calculated by taking the square of the difference between the Hamiltonian operator and its mean value in a coherent state, and then averaging this value over all possible coherent states.

3. What is the significance of the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states?

The expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states is significant because it provides important information about the uncertainty or fluctuations in the Hamiltonian operator in a coherent state. It is also used in various quantum mechanical calculations and analyses.

4. How does the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in that it represents one of the uncertainties in the position and momentum of a quantum system. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the product of these uncertainties cannot be smaller than a certain value, which is determined by the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states.

5. Can the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states be negative?

No, the expected value of variance of Hamiltonian in coherent states cannot be negative. This is because it represents a measure of the spread or variability of the Hamiltonian operator, and a negative value would not make sense in this context. It is always a positive value or zero.