Calculate the frequency of microwave

In summary, the two microwaves that are incident on a concave mirror have a strong signal at a point where they meet. The wavelength of this signal is about 7.5x10^10 Hz.
patrykh18

Homework Statement

Two single frequency coherent microwave beams are directed from the same point towards a concave mirror. One beam is incident parallel to the principal axis of the mirror, 0.06m from the axis. The other beam passes through the focal point before striking the mirror. The strongest possible signal that can be produced by the combination of the two beams is detected where they meet, 0.3m away from the mirror. f=0.2m

Calculate:
1) how far from the mirror do the two beams originate
2) how far below the axis do they meet
3) minimum possible frequency of the microwaves

c= 3x10^8 m/s

Homework Equations

1/f= 1/u + 1/v
m=v/u
c=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1) In this question I used the 1/f= 1/u +1/v formula.
I got the answer of 0.6m

2) In this case I used the m= v/u formula. Knowing that the size of the object is 0.06m (or rather its 0.06m away form principal axis) I got the answer of 0.03m

3) Not 100% sure about this one although first I found the distance from f to the source. I used trigonometry to find the hypotenuse. I got a triangle of lengths 0.06m, 0.4m, and 0.404m. I figured that the 0.404m side is 1 wavelength longer than the 0.4m side. So I found wavelength of the wave. Then I used the last formula and I found the answer to be around 7.5x10^10 Hz. Could somebody tell me whether I am right or wrong because I have no access to the solution.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your reasoning is sound - the first two are geometric optics questions, for the last one - did you account for a phase shift on reflection?

Note: for the 1st two you are approximating whatever the undisclosed concave mirror shape was by a thin parabolic mirror for the equation to work. You are also assuming that 6mm is close enough to the optic axis for the par-axial approximation to be valid. Technically you are not given enough information - but it is probably reasonable to do this in context of your course.

1. How do you calculate the frequency of a microwave?

To calculate the frequency of a microwave, you will need to know the speed of light (c) and the wavelength (λ) of the microwave. The formula for frequency (f) is f = c/λ. Simply divide the speed of light by the wavelength to determine the frequency.

2. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). It is denoted by the letter "c" and is a fundamental constant in physics.

3. How do you measure the wavelength of a microwave?

The wavelength of a microwave can be measured using a ruler or a measuring tape. Place the ruler or measuring tape on the surface of the microwave and measure the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in the microwave's electromagnetic wave.

4. What units are used to measure microwave frequency?

Microwave frequency is typically measured in hertz (Hz), which is equivalent to cycles per second. Other common units used to measure frequency include kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), and gigahertz (GHz).

5. Why is it important to calculate the frequency of a microwave?

Knowing the frequency of a microwave is important for various reasons. It can help determine the energy and power of the microwave, as well as its potential health effects. It is also crucial in the design and operation of microwave communication systems and technologies.