Calculate the gravitational force exerted on a 5.00 kg baby

In summary, astrology places significance on the position of planets at the moment of birth, but the only known force they exert is gravitational. In a calculation, the gravitational force between a 130 kg father and a 5.00 kg baby 0.200 m away is 0.00000108 N. To compare, the force of Jupiter on the baby at its closest distance of 6.29 x 10^11 m is also significant, with a mass of 1.90 x 10^27 kg. However, this force is still much smaller than the force exerted by the father. Other objects in the room and building also have similar gravitational forces, but there may be other unknown forces at play.
Mariesa Yeoman

Homework Statement

Astrology, that unlikely and vague pseudoscience, makes much of the position of the planets at the moment of birth. The only known force a planet exerts on Earth is gravitational.
(a) Calculate the gravitational force exerted on a 5.00 kg baby by a 130 kg father 0.200 m away at birth (assisting so he is close).

(b) Calculate the force on the baby due to Jupiter if it is at its closest to the earth, some 6.29 ✕ 1011 m away, showing it to be comparable to that of the father. The mass of Jupiter is about 1.90 ✕ 1027 kg. Other objects in the room and the hospital building also exert similar gravitational forces. (Of course, there could be an unknown force acting, but scientists first need to be convinced that there is even an effect, much less that an unknown force causes it.)

Homework Equations

g = GM/ r2 .

The Attempt at a Solution

I found a to be 0.00000108 N. I am struggling to find b) I have tried several times but seem to either be substituting the values wrong, or not understanding all together. Can someone explain how to do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mariesa Yeoman said:
g = GM/ r2

That is gravitational acceleration.

The gravitational force between mass ##M## and mass ##m##, depends on both masses. It is ##F = GMm/r^2##.
The acceleration that causes on mass ##m## is found from setting ##F = ma## or ##a = F/m## which gives ##a = GM/r^2##.

Also a general comment that "I have tried but my answer is wrong" gives us no information on what you're doing, therefore no way to tell you what you might be doing wrong.

I was able to solve it, thank you. I was leaving out the exponent on the radius, causing the calculation to be wrong.

What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between the two objects.

How do I calculate the gravitational force exerted on a 5.00 kg baby on Earth?

To calculate the gravitational force exerted on a 5.00 kg baby on Earth, you will need to know the mass of the baby (5.00 kg), the mass of the Earth (5.97 x 10^24 kg), and the distance between the baby and the center of the Earth (approximately 6.37 x 10^6 meters). Plug these values into the formula F = G * (m1 * m2)/r^2 to calculate the force.

What is the value of the gravitational constant (G)?

The value of the gravitational constant (G) is approximately 6.673 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2. It is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the strength of the gravitational force between two objects.

Why is the gravitational force on a baby different on different planets?

The gravitational force on a baby (or any object) is different on different planets because the force depends on the mass of the planet and the distance between the baby and the center of the planet. The larger the mass of the planet, the stronger the gravitational force, and the closer the baby is to the center of the planet, the stronger the gravitational force.

How does the mass of the baby affect the gravitational force?

The mass of the baby directly affects the gravitational force exerted on it. According to Newton's Law of Gravitation, the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects. This means that the larger the mass of the baby, the stronger the gravitational force will be.