Half life Tc-99m injected into a patient

In summary, the question asks what fraction of the original technetium (Tc-99m) will remain in a patient's body 36 hours after being injected with a dye containing Tc-99m, with a half-life of 6.03 hours. Using the formula Af/Ao = (1/2)^(t/h), the answer is 0.016%, not 1.6% as initially calculated. This is because the original amount of Tc-99m injected is not 99, but rather 1, and the formula is calculating the fraction of that original amount that remains after 36 hours.
needingtoknow

Homework Statement

A patient comes into the hospital for a bone scan and is injected with a dye containing Tc-99m. The half-life of Tc-99m is 6.03 h. What fraction of the original technetium will remain the patient 36 h after the procedure if radioactive decay is the only means by which it is removed?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Af = Ao (1/2)t/h
Af = 99 (1/2)36/6.03
Af = 1.579214746

1.57921476 / 98 = 0.016

0.016 x 100 = 1.6 %

I am getting 1.6 % but the answer key states the answer as 0.016 %. What am I doing wrong. Is the m after Tc-99m play a role in this that I'm missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Assume the original amount of TC-99 which is injected is 1.

But if its a ratio why does it matter what value I put in for the original amount? For example, for every other question involving half life I have used the amu given, i.e. Aluminium-30 I used 30 amu as the original and it always gives the right answer. So what is so unique about this question?

"What fraction of the original technetium will remain ... after 36 hours ..." So if the original amount of the sample is 100% of the total amount injected, then what fraction will remain after 36 hours have elapsed?

needingtoknow said:
Af = Ao (1/2)t/h
Af = 99 (1/2)36/6.03
Why are you substituting 99 there? That's not the amount of radioactive material. You want Af/Ao, right?

1. What is Tc-99m and what is its half life?

Tc-99m is a radioactive isotope of the element technetium. Its half life is approximately 6 hours, meaning that half of the original amount of Tc-99m will decay into a more stable form within that time period.

2. How is Tc-99m used in medical imaging?

Tc-99m is commonly used in nuclear medicine procedures, such as SPECT scans, to image various organs and tissues in the body. It is typically injected into the patient's bloodstream and its radioactive emissions are detected by a special camera to create images.

3. Is Tc-99m safe for patients?

Yes, Tc-99m is considered safe for use in medical procedures. The amount of radiation exposure from a typical injection is minimal and is carefully monitored by trained professionals.

4. How long does it take for Tc-99m to be eliminated from the body?

Since Tc-99m has a short half life of 6 hours, it is usually eliminated from the body within 24-48 hours. However, the specific time can vary depending on factors such as the patient's metabolism and the amount of Tc-99m injected.

5. Are there any side effects of Tc-99m injection?

In rare cases, some patients may experience mild side effects such as headache, nausea, or allergic reactions. However, these side effects are usually temporary and can be managed by medical professionals. It is important to inform your healthcare provider if you have any known allergies before receiving a Tc-99m injection.