Calculate the induced EMF for angle α

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the induced EMF in a conductor loop by changing the angle between two vectors in one second. The formula used is ε = A \cdot B \cdot {cos(\alpha) - cos(0) \over Δt}, and the resulting induced voltage is -9 \cdot 10^{-6} V. There is a discussion about the definition of the angle and its impact on the answer.
Yousuf Ejazi
Member advised to use the formatting template for all homework help requests
I have a question in my book and it’s confusing me a bit. I tried to search online for similar solved problems but couldn’t succeed. So here it goes:Calculate the induced EMF in a conductor loop when the angle between [tex] \vec{A} ~ and~ \vec{B} ~is~ changed ~from ~{0 °}~ to ~{α °} [/tex] in 1 second: [tex] Δt = 1s[/tex]So I solved it like this: [tex]ε = A \cdot B \cdot {cos(\alpha) - cos(0) \over Δt}[/tex]Where: [tex] B = 2.8 \cdot 10^{-2} T[/tex] and diameter of the loop is: [tex]D = 5.4 cm [/tex]So using the above method, I should get and induced Voltage of [tex] -9 \cdot 10^{-6} V[/tex], if I rotate the loop from an initial 0 ° Orientation to 30 °. Would this be wrong? If so, could you explain that to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Yousuf, :welcome:

Why would it be wrong ? You use the correct formula and do the math correctly, so what's the problem ?

There is one remark to be made: it is not very neat to speak of 'the' EMF when in fact this is an average EMF (from ##\ B\Delta A/\Delta t\ ## ) and one second can be a long time in electronics.

Likes berkeman
Yousuf Ejazi said:
I have a question in my book and it’s confusing me a bit. I tried to search online for similar solved problems but couldn’t succeed. So here it goes:
Calculate the induced EMF in a conductor loop when the angle between [tex] \vec{A} ~ and~ \vec{B} ~is~ changed ~from ~{0 °}~ to ~{α °} [/tex] in 1 second: [tex] Δt = 1s[/tex]
How do you define this angle? The rigorous way is the angle between B and the normal to the plane of A. But many think of the area vector as being in the plane which is not good since that vector can have any orientation within the A plane.

And your answer depends on that definition.

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF (Electromotive Force) is a voltage that is generated in a conducting material when it moves through a magnetic field or when the magnetic field through the material changes.

2. How is induced EMF calculated?

The equation for calculating induced EMF is given by E = -N * ΔΦ/Δt, where E is the induced EMF, N is the number of turns in the conducting material, and ΔΦ/Δt is the change in magnetic flux over time.

3. What is the significance of angle α in calculating induced EMF?

Angle α represents the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion of the conducting material. It is an important factor in determining the strength of the induced EMF as it affects the amount of magnetic flux passing through the material.

4. What is the unit of measurement for induced EMF?

The unit of measurement for induced EMF is volts (V), which represents the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating induced EMF?

Induced EMF has various practical applications, such as in generators and transformers, where it is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in devices like induction cooktops, electric motors, and electromagnetic sensors.