Calculate the minimum force

In summary, the minimum force required for the blocks to remain in the same position throughout the motion is equal to ##g\frac{m+M}{u}## for part a) and ##\frac{F-u_pMg}{m+M}## for part b. The book solution for part a) is ##F=mg\frac{m+M}{uM}##. The assumption made in the attempt at a solution is incorrect, as the force between the blocks is not necessarily equal to the force applied to the first block.
doktorwho

Homework Statement

Diagram.JPG

##m=1[kg]##, ##M=5[kg]##, ##u=0.6##
Calculate the minimum force required for the blocks to remain in the same position thourought the motion. For the part a) there is no friction between block 2 and the floor, for the part b there is and its ##u_f##

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
For the part a) the frictional force between the blocks must be equal to ##mg##. The frictional force is proportional to the force on the block.
##mg=F_{fr}##
##mg=uN## ##\Rightarrow## ##N=ma## ##\Rightarrow## ##F=(m+M)a##
##mg=um\frac{F}{m+M}## ##\Rightarrow## ##F=g\frac{m+M}{u}##
The book solution is: ##F=mg\frac{m+M}{uM}##
I was certain i got this right and then i see a different answer in the book. What is wrong?
For the part b)
##mg=F_{fr}##
##mg=uN## ##\Rightarrow## ##N=ma## ##\Rightarrow## ##(m+M)a=F-u_pMg## ##\Rightarrow## ##a=\frac{F-u_pMg}{m+M}##
Is this right so far?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
doktorwho said:
I was certain i got this right and then i see a different answer in the book. What is wrong?
You are assuming that the force between the blocks equals the force applied to the first block. Not so.

Likes doktorwho

What is the formula for calculating minimum force?

The formula for calculating minimum force is F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How do I determine the minimum force required to move an object?

To determine the minimum force required to move an object, you will need to know the mass of the object and the acceleration it is experiencing. Then, use the formula F = ma to calculate the minimum force needed.

What are some factors that can affect the minimum force needed to move an object?

Some factors that can affect the minimum force needed to move an object include the mass of the object, the friction between the object and its surface, and the presence of other forces acting on the object, such as gravity or air resistance.

Can the minimum force be negative?

No, the minimum force cannot be negative. Force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. A negative force would indicate a force acting in the opposite direction, which would result in no movement of the object.

Is there a limit to the minimum force that can be applied to an object?

There is no limit to the minimum force that can be applied to an object. However, if the force applied is less than the force of friction acting against the object, the object will not move. In this case, the minimum force required to overcome friction would be the minimum force needed to move the object.