Calculate the minimum uncertainty

In summary, Kaspar tried to solve the problem by using the equation from the textbook, but it was wrong. He then tried using the equation from the textbook to calculate ∆p_y, but it was inaccurate because the dimension of the momentum was in kilograms*m/s.
Kaspar
Hello,
can anybody help me with solving the problem.

Homework Statement

:[/B]
Calculate minimum uncertainty?

A horizontal beam of laser light of wavelength 604 nm passes through a narrow slit that has width 0.0600 mm . The intensity of the light is measured on a vertical screen that is 2.40 m from the slit.

a.) What is the minimum uncertainty in the vertical component of the momentum of each photon in the beam after the photon has passed through the slit?
∆p_y=?

b.)Use the result of part A to estimate the width of the central diffraction maximum that is observed on the screen.
d=?

Homework Equations

and

The Attempt at a Solution

:
[/B][/B]

a.) I tried using this equation and I got for ∆p_y=0.02416m
But it was wrong. :frown:

See in picture.

Can anybody help me?
Thank you.
M
pic.png

pic2.png

Attachments

• pic2.png
    pic2.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 3,206
  • pic.png
    pic.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 2,995
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Kaspar, :welcome:

Kaspar said:
I tried using this equation
I suppose you tried ##\Delta p_y = p_x{\lambda\over a}## ? Where does that come from ? And for ##p_x## you use the distance to the screen ?

I got for ∆p_y=0.02416 m
A ##\Delta p## with the dimension of m ?

In what context is this exercise ? Does the textbook mention uncertainty somewhere ?

BvU said:
Hello Kaspar,
I suppose you tried ##\Delta p_y = p_x{\lambda\over a}## ? Where does that come from ? And for ##p_x## you use the distance to the screen ?

Hi BvU, thanks for your reply. The equation comes from the textbook "University of Physics - Modern physics" by Zemansky (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/13rAnc_ryXgKa3YQOXms2AGnbpFvqeXXd , book page 1268)

A ##\Delta p## with the dimension of m ?
In what context is this exercise? Does the textbook mention uncertainty somewhere ?

Yes its the chapter "38.4 WAVE–PARTICLE DUALITY, PROBABILITY, AND UNCERTAINTY"
But I still don't know how to calculate: ##\Delta p_y##
Dimension should be kg*m/s .

Kaspar said:
The equation comes from the textbook "University of Physics - Modern physics" by Zemansky
Ok, but the story continues on the next page !

BvU said:
And for pxpxp_x you use the distance to the screen ?
The distance to the screen cannot be relevant for part a). Isn't it just a matter of ΔyΔpy≥ etc?

haruspex said:
The distance to the screen cannot be relevant for part a). Isn't it just a matter of ΔyΔpy≥ etc?

You are right.

I solved my problem. Here you can see. Thank you.
solved.png

Attachments

• solved.png
    solved.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 2,686
  • Informative
Likes skycutter

What does calculating the minimum uncertainty mean?

Calculating the minimum uncertainty refers to determining the smallest possible range of values for a given measurement or quantity. It involves finding the lower and upper bounds of the uncertainty range, which can help increase the accuracy and reliability of scientific data.

Why is calculating the minimum uncertainty important in scientific research?

Calculating the minimum uncertainty is important because it allows scientists to understand and communicate the level of uncertainty in their data. This can help determine the validity and reliability of research findings, as well as allow for more accurate comparisons between different studies or experiments.

What factors affect the value of the minimum uncertainty?

There are several factors that can affect the value of the minimum uncertainty, including the precision and accuracy of the measurement instrument, the nature of the phenomenon being measured, and the level of expertise and skill of the person conducting the measurement.

How is the minimum uncertainty calculated?

The minimum uncertainty is typically calculated using statistical methods, such as standard deviation or confidence intervals. These methods take into account the variability and potential sources of error in the data to determine the range of values within which the true value is likely to fall.

Can the minimum uncertainty ever be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate uncertainty in scientific measurements. However, by using precise and accurate instruments, carefully designing experiments, and conducting multiple trials, scientists can reduce the level of uncertainty to a minimum and increase the confidence in their findings.