Calculate the net force acting on the object

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the net force acting on objects using the sine law and cosine law. The student is struggling to understand the direction of the resultant vector and the expert suggests using the method of componentizing the vectors, adding the components, and converting the resultant vector back to angle and magnitude.
roguekiller93
diagrams-png.59601.png
[PLAIN]http://[PLAIN] [PLAIN]http://[PLAIN]
1. Homework Statement

Calculate the net force acting on each object indicated in the following diagrams.
(diagrams attached) I am working on "B"

Homework Equations

Sine Law: sin a/a = sin b/b = sin c/ c
Cosine Law: c^2 = a^2 + b^2 -2ab*cos(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

C2 = (2W)2 + (17N)2 – 2(2)(17)Cos 45o

= 4 + 289 – 48.08326112

= 16 N
SinB/ 17 N = Sin 45 / 16 W

= 49o
∴ Net Force is 16 N (W49o N)
I am really struggling with this component of physics.I understand I got the wrong answer for the sine law because I rounded off too early in my cosine law calculations. However I am really struggling to understand how I got the wrong answer for the direction of my resultant vector. It is supposed to be 16 N [W 40 N].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see any attachment.

billy_joule said:
I can't see any attachment.
Sorry. I attached the diagrams now

It seems that if you componentized the vectors then added the components and then converted the resultant vector back to angle and magnitude.

jedishrfu said:
It seems that if you componentized the vectors then added the components and then converted the resultant vector back to angle and magnitude.
Yes. That's the method they want us to use.

So show us the i, j components of the vectors then show the components of the resultant one.

What does it mean to calculate the net force acting on an object?

Calculating the net force on an object means finding the overall force acting on the object by combining all the individual forces acting on it.

How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the object. Then, you can use vector addition to find the sum of all the forces. The resulting vector will be the net force acting on the object.

What units are used to measure net force?

Net force is measured in Newtons (N). This is the standard unit for force in the International System of Units (SI).

What is the difference between net force and individual forces?

Individual forces act on an object from different directions and magnitudes, while net force is the overall force acting on the object. Net force takes into account the direction and magnitude of all the individual forces acting on the object.

Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This indicates that the overall force acting on the object is in the opposite direction of the motion. A negative net force can cause the object to slow down or change direction.