Electron transfer in Redox equation

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem but doesn't seem to understand how the half-reactions work.
ally1h

Homework Statement

How many electrons are transferred in the following reaction?
6 Br^- (aq) + Cr2O7^2- (aq) + 14 H^+ --> 2Cr^3+ (aq) + 7H2O + 3Br2 (l)

a) 1
b) 2
c) 3
d) 6
e) 14

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Redox reactions really confuse me, but I gave it a shot. I took a look at the number of electrons on each side of the equation and found the following:
Left side:
6Br^- = -6
Cr2O7^2- = -2
14 H^+ = +14
Total: +6

Right side:
2Cr^3+ = +6
7H2O = 0
3 Br2 = 0
Total: 6

But this is as far as I can get. Somehow I don't think the answer is D) 6, but I really don't know. Someone please help me understand this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Easily concentrate your attention to just one half-reaction, assuming the reaction as written is balanced; that being for the bromide. How many electron difference is it from 2 bromides to one bromine(compound, not the separate atoms)? Now, how many electrons change is this for the same half-reaction as represented in the fully written reaction (in which you start with 6 bromides instead of just 2 bromides)?

In other words, from post #2, your best choice would seem to be D. (6 electrons)

Okay, so D it is. If I understand correctly then in the half-reaction for bromide... there is 1 electron difference between 2 bromides to 1 bromine. As a whole reaction, there are 6 bromides... so 6 electrons.

What about the other half-reaction, though?
Cr2O7^2- + 14H^+ --> 2Cr^3+ +7H2O

I suppose it is the dichromate ion that confuses me.

If you know your reaction as written is balanced, then you know that the chromate part of the reaction is also for 6 electrons.

Look at dicrhromate anion. Account for all the charges which give the -2 charge for this anion. Two chromiums, seven oxygens, the sum of the charges must be -2. You want to find the charge on the chromium. You know: 1 oxygen is -2, dichromate anion charge is -2. You do not yet know the charge on 1 chromium in the dichromate anion. This is what you want to find (using simple algebra).

Ahhh... I see. Thank you for your help. I understand now. :) Redox reactions make my head spin.

1. What is an electron transfer in a redox equation?

An electron transfer, also known as oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction, is a chemical process in which one atom or molecule loses an electron (oxidation) while another atom or molecule gains an electron (reduction). This transfer of electrons is represented in a redox equation by the movement of electrons from the reactant to the product.

2. How is an electron transfer represented in a redox equation?

In a redox equation, the reactants and products are written as half-reactions, one for the oxidation process and one for the reduction process. The transfer of electrons is represented by balancing the number of electrons on each side of the equation.

3. What is the significance of electron transfer in redox reactions?

Electron transfer plays a crucial role in redox reactions as it allows for the conversion of chemical energy into electrical energy. This is the basis for many important processes in living organisms, such as cellular respiration and photosynthesis, and in technological applications, such as batteries and fuel cells.

4. How is the direction of electron transfer determined in a redox reaction?

The direction of electron transfer in a redox reaction is determined by the relative strengths of the reducing and oxidizing agents involved. The stronger reducing agent will donate electrons to the stronger oxidizing agent, resulting in a spontaneous reaction.

5. Can electron transfer in redox reactions be reversed?

Yes, electron transfer in redox reactions can be reversed by applying an external electrical potential. This process is known as electrolysis and is commonly used in industrial processes, such as metal plating, and in the production of chlorine and aluminum.