Calculate the rate of potential energy loss of water in a pipe

In summary, the given data includes a pipe with two sections, where section 1 has a height of 11.9m and a water velocity of 0.3240ms^-1, and section 2 has a water velocity of 1.390ms^-1. The pressure and radius are also given for both sections. The density and viscosity of water are also provided. The attempt at a solution involved finding the gravitational potential energy using the formula U = mgh, with a resulting value of 36268.82J. However, the rate of potential energy loss is still unknown and further assistance is needed.
kwal0203

Homework Statement

Question: what rate does the water lose gravitational potential energy?

Data:
I have a pipe that water is flowing through and the pipe has 2 sections.

In section 1:
- the pipe is 11.9m above section 2 so, h = 11.9m
- the velocity of water is $$v_1 = 0.3240ms^{-1}$$
- pressure is 1.126atm
- radius is 0.5530m

Section 2:
- the velocity of water is $$v_2 = 1.390ms^{-1}$$
- pressure is 2.268atm
- radius is 0.2670m

Density of water: $$\rho_w = 1000kgm^{-3}$$
Viscosity of water: $$\eta = 8.90 \times 10^{-4} Pa s$$

Homework Equations

Gravitational potential energy: U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Haven't gotten far with this. My first instinct was to find U, so I did this:

volume flow rate times density $$= 0.311m^{3}s^{-1} \times 1000kgm^{-3}$$
$$= 311kgs^{-1}$$

$$U = 311kgs^{-1} \times 9.8ms^{-2} \times 11.9m$$
$$ = 36268.82J$$

I'm not sure if what I've done so far is valid but I seem to have 36268.82J of potential energy in one seconds worth of water flow.

Not sure how to proceed here to get a rate of potential energy loss. Hopefully I can get some help how to think about this. Any help appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The water flow is downward, correct?

You wrote U = 36268.82J
Shouldn't it be U / t = 36268.82 J / sec?

1. How is the rate of potential energy loss of water in a pipe calculated?

The rate of potential energy loss of water in a pipe can be calculated by using the equation: rate of potential energy loss = mass flow rate × gravitational constant × height difference. This equation takes into account the mass of water flowing through the pipe, the force of gravity, and the difference in height between the two points.

2. What is the mass flow rate of water?

The mass flow rate of water is the amount of water that flows through the pipe per unit of time. It is usually measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or liters per second (L/s). This value is an important factor in calculating the rate of potential energy loss as it determines the amount of water that is being moved through the pipe.

3. How does the gravitational constant affect the rate of potential energy loss?

The gravitational constant, denoted by the symbol g, is a fundamental constant that represents the force of gravity on Earth. It is a key factor in calculating the rate of potential energy loss as it determines the strength of gravity that is acting on the water in the pipe. A higher value of g will result in a higher rate of potential energy loss.

4. What is the significance of the height difference in the calculation?

The height difference, also known as the elevation change, is the vertical distance between the two points where the water enters and exits the pipe. It is an important factor in calculating the rate of potential energy loss as it represents the change in potential energy of the water due to gravity. A greater height difference will result in a higher rate of potential energy loss.

5. How can the rate of potential energy loss of water in a pipe be reduced?

The rate of potential energy loss of water in a pipe can be reduced by minimizing the factors that contribute to it. This can include reducing the mass flow rate of water, using a pipe with a smaller diameter, or decreasing the height difference between the two points. Additionally, installing devices such as pumps or valves can help to control and regulate the flow of water, thereby reducing the rate of potential energy loss.