Fluid dynamics calculation -- Draining a barrel through a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the velocity of water at the top of a barrel (v1) and the velocity of water at the bottom of a cylinder (v2). The equation (⍴*(v1)^2)/2 + ⍴gh = (⍴*(v2)^2)/2 + ⍴gh is used to show the relationship, with atmospheric pressure canceling out and density not affecting the result. By setting the height of the pipe to zero, the equation (v1)^2/2 + gh = (v2)^2/2 is obtained, leaving two unknowns. The equation Q = dV/dt = A*v is mentioned, but it is unclear how
swiper122
Homework Statement
A barrel of cylinder shape, with radius 6 cm, is filled with water 10 cm high. You open a pipe at the bottom with area of 1 cm^2. How much time is needed for water to drop 5 cm in height?
Relevant Equations
Bernoulli equation: p + (⍴ *v^2)/2 + ⍴gh = constant.
Volumetric flow rate = Q= dV/dt = A*v
v1- velocity of water at the top of the barrel
v2- velocity of water at the the pipe (bottom of cylinder)

p + (⍴ *(v1)^2)/2 + ⍴gh=p + (⍴ *(v2)^2)/2 + ⍴gh
atmosferic pressure cancels out

(⍴ *(v1)^2)/2 + ⍴gh = (⍴ *(v2)^2)/2 + ⍴gh
density doesn't affect the result(cause its in every term)

(v1)^2/2 + gh = (v2)^2/2 + gh
(finaly i can set the height of the pipe to zero)

(v1)^2/2 + gh = (v2)^2/2
(i am left with this equation and 2 unknowns)

Q= dV/dt = A*v
(Now, I am not sure how to use this equation, since i think Volumetric flow is not constant, because velocity is not constant (potential energy is decreasing as height lowers with time)
I feel like i need to integrate but i don't know how to set it up. The result is supposedly 63 s. Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
swiper122 said:
i am left with this equation and 2 unknowns
You can take the fluid as incompressible, so there's a relationship between the two velocities.
There's also a differential relationship between the velocities and the remaining height.

1. How do you calculate the flow rate of fluid through a pipe?

The flow rate of fluid through a pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid's velocity, pressure, and density. It can also be calculated using the Poiseuille's equation, which considers the pipe's dimensions and fluid viscosity.

2. What factors affect the draining rate of a barrel through a pipe?

The draining rate of a barrel through a pipe is affected by the barrel's height, the pipe's diameter, the fluid's viscosity, and the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the barrel.

3. How does the shape of the barrel or pipe impact the fluid draining process?

The shape of the barrel or pipe can impact the fluid draining process by affecting the fluid's velocity and pressure. For example, a wider pipe will allow for a higher flow rate, while a longer barrel will result in a slower draining process.

4. What are some common applications of fluid dynamics calculations in draining processes?

Fluid dynamics calculations are commonly used in draining processes for various applications such as draining water from a swimming pool or draining oil from a tank. They are also used in industrial processes such as draining chemicals from a reactor or draining sewage from a city's sewer system.

5. How can fluid dynamics calculations be used to optimize the draining process?

Fluid dynamics calculations can be used to optimize the draining process by determining the most efficient pipe diameter and length, as well as the optimal pressure difference for the fastest draining rate. They can also be used to identify any potential bottlenecks or restrictions in the draining system.