Calculate the resistance to add in parallel to balance this bridge circuit

Saibot
Homework Statement
Find resistance R if the voltmeter reading is zero in the circuit below.
Relevant Equations
V = IRtotal, 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2
The reading on the voltmeter is 0.
circuit.png

I figure the potential drop through line AB must be the same as the potential drop through AC (since voltmeter is zero). As such, the 10 Ohm resistor has the same as the effective resistance of the parallel branch.

1/10 = 1/8 + 1/R
1/R = -0.025
R = -40 Ohms

This is clearly wrong. Help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Saibot said:
Homework Statement: Find resistance R if the voltmeter reading is zero in the circuit below.
Relevant Equations: V = IRtotal, 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2

The reading on the voltmeter is 0.
View attachment 337192

I figure the potential drop through line AB must be the same as the potential drop through AC (since voltmeter is zero). As such, the 10 Ohm resistor has the same as the effective resistance of the parallel branch.

1/10 = 1/8 + 1/R
1/R = -0.025
R = -40 Ohms

This is clearly wrong. Help please!
I don't know if there is a trick to this, it is true that the voltage drop from AB is the same as AC. There must be different currents the branches though. So they don't have the same effective resistance as far as I can tell.

I'm having some trouble finding enough equations, ( I'm getting 2 equations in 3 unknows), but maybe I'm missing it.

If the voltmeter reads zero, it means that the potential difference between C and B is zero. If you replace the voltmeter with a resistor, there will be no current through it. It follows that whatever current goes through the 2 Ω resistor must go through the parallel combination. Likewise, whatever current gos through the 5 Ω resistor must go through the 10 Ω resistor. What does this suggest to you? Write some equations down involving the two currents that I mentioned.

kuruman said:
If the voltmeter reads zero, it means that the potential difference between C and B is zero. If you replace the voltmeter with a resistor, there will be no current through it. It follows that whatever current goes through the 2 Ω resistor must go through the parallel combination. Likewise, whatever current gos through the 5 Ω resistor must go through the 10 Ω resistor. What does this suggest to you? Write some equations down involving the two currents that I mentioned.
Is the total voltage source supposed to be known, and just not shown in the diagram? I really can't find that 3rd independent equation. It seems to me that something is missing...the entire circuit could very well be at zero volts (no current flowing in either branch), and the voltmeter would be none the wiser.

Likes Saibot
erobz said:
Is the total voltage source supposed to be known, and just not shown in the diagram? I really can't find that 3rd independent equation. It seems to me that something is missing...the entire circuit could very well be at zero volts (no current flowing in either branch), and the voltmeter would be none the wiser.
You do have to assume that a nonzero p.d. is supplied by the accumulators.

Likes Saibot and erobz
kuruman said:
Got it, thank you. The current through the top is larger than the current through the bottom. Man, it seems so obvious now.

Likes erobz
Thanks for your input everyone!

1. How do I calculate the resistance to add in parallel to balance a bridge circuit?

To calculate the resistance to add in parallel to balance a bridge circuit, you first need to determine the total resistance of the unbalanced circuit. Then, calculate the total resistance of the balanced circuit by finding the equivalent resistance of the known resistors. Finally, subtract the total resistance of the unbalanced circuit from the total resistance of the balanced circuit to find the resistance to add in parallel.

2. What is a bridge circuit?

A bridge circuit is a type of electrical circuit that is used to measure unknown electrical resistance. It consists of four resistors connected in a diamond shape, with a voltage source applied across one diagonal and a galvanometer connected across the other diagonal. When the bridge circuit is balanced, the galvanometer reads zero, indicating that the resistance of the unknown resistor is equal to the known resistors in the circuit.

3. Why is it important to balance a bridge circuit?

It is important to balance a bridge circuit in order to accurately measure the unknown resistance. When the bridge circuit is balanced, the resistance of the unknown resistor can be calculated using the known resistors in the circuit. Balancing the bridge circuit ensures that the measurement is precise and reliable.

4. What happens if a bridge circuit is not balanced?

If a bridge circuit is not balanced, the galvanometer will not read zero, indicating that the resistance of the unknown resistor is not equal to the known resistors in the circuit. This can lead to inaccurate measurements and unreliable results. It is important to balance the bridge circuit to ensure the accuracy of the resistance measurement.

5. Can I use different values of resistors to balance a bridge circuit?

Yes, you can use different values of resistors to balance a bridge circuit. The key is to calculate the total resistance of the unbalanced circuit and the total resistance of the balanced circuit using the known resistors. By subtracting the total resistance of the unbalanced circuit from the total resistance of the balanced circuit, you can determine the resistance to add in parallel to balance the bridge circuit.