Calculate the wavelength when electron transits.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength of a photon emitted from an atom when an electron transitions from an energy state of -4 eV to -8 eV. By using the equation E=hc/λ, it is determined that if the initial state had been at an energy of -6 eV, the wavelength of the emitted photon would be 600nm.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

A photon of wavelength 300nm is emitted from an atom when an electron makes a transition from an energy state of -4 eV to a state of -8 eV. IF the initial state had been at enerygy of -6 eV, the wavelength of the photon emitted in a transition to -8eV is..??

Homework Equations

E=hc/λ

The Attempt at a Solution

I don’t know the basis of this question, but here is my attempt. Since the change in energy from -4eV to -8eV is -4 eV and from -6ev to -8eV is -2, so the energy is halved. If E is halved, then I think λ doubles and the anwer would be 600nm (not sure)

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you do know the basis of the question since your reasoning is correct.

You can use the relevant equation to guide your thinking about how energy and wavelength are related. If you doubled the wavelength ##\lambda##, what would happen to E?

vela said:
Apparently you do know the basis of the question since your reasoning is correct.
Oh, great! I wasn’t sure I know that topic well. :oldsmile:

1. What is the equation for calculating the wavelength of an electron's transit?

The equation for calculating the wavelength of an electron's transit is λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is the Planck constant, m is the mass of the electron, and v is the velocity of the electron.

2. How do you determine the velocity of an electron for this calculation?

The velocity of an electron can be determined by dividing its momentum by its mass, or by measuring its acceleration and using the equation v = u + at, where u is the initial velocity and a is the acceleration.

3. What units should be used for the variables in the wavelength calculation equation?

The Planck constant (h) should be in units of joule-seconds (J·s), the mass (m) should be in units of kilograms (kg), and the velocity (v) should be in units of meters per second (m/s).

4. Is the wavelength of an electron's transit affected by its energy level?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron's transit is affected by its energy level. This is because the velocity of the electron is directly related to its energy, and the wavelength calculation takes into account the velocity of the electron.

5. Can the wavelength of an electron's transit be measured experimentally?

Yes, the wavelength of an electron's transit can be measured experimentally using techniques such as electron diffraction or electron microscopy. These techniques involve passing electrons through a diffraction grating or a thin sample and measuring the resulting interference pattern to determine the wavelength of the electrons.