Calculate thermistor coefficents

• Thread starter paulie walnut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermistor
In summary, the conversation discusses using Visual Basic to graph data from a NTC thermistor and temperature sensor in order to calculate the thermistor coefficients R0 and B. The first step is to take the natural logarithm of both sides of the equation, and then compare it to the equation of a straight line graph. The value of R is the resistance at temperature T in Kelvin, and plotting lnR against 1/T will reveal the intercept and slope, which represent R0 and B respectively.
paulie walnut
I'm using Visual Basic to graph data from a NTC thermistor and temperature sensor (via a DAC card). I want to calculate the thermistor coefficients R0 and B according to the equation (R0 should have subscript 0):
R = R0.e^B/T
T=absolute temperature
R=resistance

I have calculated ln(R) and 1/T but am unsure of how to calculate the coefficients. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
1st step is to take ln of both sides of the equation.

Hi grzz, how can I take the ln of both sides if B is unknown?

R = R[itex]_{o}[/itex]e[itex]^{\frac{B}{T}}[/itex]

then

lnR = lnR[itex]_{o}[/itex] + B ([itex]\frac{1}{T}[/itex])

Compare with

y = c + mx

which is a straight line graph.

Ok I think I'm getting there. So Ro is resistance at an arbitrary temperature eg. room temperature? So what is the first R?

R is the value of the resistance at temperature T (in Kelvin).

So one plots a graph of lnR on the vertical axis against 1/T on the horizontal axis and then the intercept on the R-axis will be ... and the slope of the graph will be ...

Ok good stuff. I know that the slope is equal to B. Is R0 then equal to the intercept?

Ro = intercept on the R-axis.

Thanks a million grzz!

1. What is a thermistor and how does it work?

A thermistor is an electronic component that changes its electrical resistance according to changes in temperature. It works by utilizing a special type of semiconductor material that has a high sensitivity to temperature changes.

2. Why is it important to calculate thermistor coefficients?

Thermistor coefficients are important because they allow for accurate temperature measurements to be made using a thermistor. These coefficients help to calibrate the thermistor and compensate for any errors that may occur due to changes in temperature or aging of the component.

3. How do you calculate thermistor coefficients?

Thermistor coefficients can be calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the resistance and temperature values at two different points. This formula is typically provided by the manufacturer of the thermistor or can be found in a datasheet.

4. What is the Steinhart-Hart equation and how is it used to calculate thermistor coefficients?

The Steinhart-Hart equation is a mathematical model that is used to describe the relationship between resistance and temperature in a thermistor. It takes into account three coefficients (A, B, and C) and can be used to calculate the temperature at any given resistance value.

5. Are there any common mistakes when calculating thermistor coefficients?

One common mistake when calculating thermistor coefficients is using incorrect values for the resistance and temperature at two different points. It is important to ensure that these values are accurately measured and recorded. Other mistakes can occur if the wrong formula or equation is used, or if the temperature range of the thermistor is not taken into account.