Calculate these 5 temperatures along this Thermodynamic cycle

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between temperatures T1, T2, T3, and T4 in a system with ideal gas and an inverse proportionality between pressure and volume. Using this information and equations, it is possible to calculate the temperature of T2 as 2T1, but the temperatures of A and C cannot be determined without more information. It is suggested that A and C are on the same isotherm and therefore have the same temperature.
Seeit
Homework Statement
Calculate the temperatures at places 2, 4, A, B and C if you know:
It's an ideal diatomic gas
T3 = 4T1
T2 = Tb = T4
The axis connecting 1, B and 3 crosses zero.
Relevant Equations
pV = nRT
Laws of thermodynamics
Screenshot_20230325_165532_WPS Office.jpg

I only know T3 = 4•T1
I was able to calculate the T2 = Tb = T4
I built four equations:
T2 = p2V1 / nR
T4 = p1V2 / nR
p1/T1 = p2/T2
V1/T2 = V2/4T1

I put them together and got T2 = 2T1

I can't figure out the temperatures of A and C. I tend to think Ta could equal Tc (then I would be able to calculate it), but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helo @Seeit ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​
Are you sure you have rendered the complete problem statement ? I would expect some more information, like: ideal gas, isothermal (or adiabatic), ...

I also miss an equation of state in your relevant equations (e.g. ##\ pV = NRT##).

Seeit said:
I only know ##T_3 = 4T_1##
How ? Or was that a given ? (In that case it is part of the problem statement)
Same for ##T_2 = T_b = T_4## ?

What about the scale and the axes of the diagram ?

##\ ##

Likes Seeit and Lnewqban
Welcome, @Seeit !

As post #1 has been edited to answer @BvU questions, I suggest considering two things:

-The inverse proportionality between p and V.
-The similarity between polygons 1CBA and 1234 due to the axis connecting 1, B and 3, which makes their corresponding sides proportional.

direct-and-inverse-proportion-1629696427.png

Likes Seeit and BvU
Lnewqban said:
Welcome, @Seeit !

As post #1 has been edited to answer @BvU questions, I suggest considering two things:

-The inverse proportionality between p and V.
-The similarity between polygons 1CBA and 1234 due to the axis connecting 1, B and 3, which makes their corresponding sides proportional.

View attachment 324057
So am I right about thinking that A and C are on the same isotherm and have therefore the same temperature?

Seeit said:
So am I right about thinking that A and C are on the same isotherm and have therefore the same temperature?
Correct!

Likes Seeit

1. What is a Thermodynamic cycle?

A Thermodynamic cycle is a sequence of thermodynamic processes that occur in a specific order and return the system to its initial state. It is used to study the behavior of a system as it undergoes changes in temperature, pressure, and other variables.

2. How do you calculate temperatures along a Thermodynamic cycle?

To calculate temperatures along a Thermodynamic cycle, you need to use the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. By knowing the initial and final states of the system, you can calculate the temperatures at different points along the cycle.

3. What are the five temperatures that need to be calculated along a Thermodynamic cycle?

The five temperatures that need to be calculated along a Thermodynamic cycle are the initial temperature, the final temperature, and three intermediate temperatures at different points in the cycle. These temperatures are important in understanding the changes that occur in the system as it undergoes different processes.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of temperature calculations along a Thermodynamic cycle?

The accuracy of temperature calculations along a Thermodynamic cycle can be affected by various factors such as the assumptions made in the calculations, the accuracy of the data used, and the complexity of the system. Other factors include the presence of external factors such as heat loss or gain, and the efficiency of the processes involved.

5. Why is it important to calculate temperatures along a Thermodynamic cycle?

Calculating temperatures along a Thermodynamic cycle is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a system as it undergoes changes. It also helps us to analyze the efficiency of the processes involved and make improvements if necessary. Additionally, temperature calculations are crucial in designing and optimizing systems for various applications, such as power plants and refrigeration systems.