Calculate time for capacitor to charge and discharge

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of charging and discharging a capacitor and the use of the 5τ approximation to determine when the capacitor is considered "fully" charged. There is also a mention of using LaTeX for math equations.
Edy56
Homework Statement
Is the capacitor C= 10μF in the circuit unpolarized or polarized? When the switch is in position (1), the capacitor is charged, and when it is in position (2), the capacitor is discharged. Determine the time required to fully charge the capacitor and the time required to fully discharge the capacitor. It is known: V= 10 V, R1= 15 kΩ, R2= 56 kΩ, R3= 7 kΩ
Relevant Equations
None
I really don't get this one. Why do I need V? Since I didn't use it, I assume my work Is incorrect.
IMG_20230604_235520_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like a trick question; are you sure you copied it exactly? It takes an infinite amount of time to "fully" charge or discharge a capacitor (that's the nature of the exponential funtion).

Also, please learn to use LaTeX to post math equations. There is a link to the "LaTeX Guide" below the Edit window. Thank you kindly. :smile:

Likes erobz
berkeman said:
Seems like a trick question; are you sure you copied it exactly? It takes an infinite amount of time to "fully" charge or discharge a capacitor (that's the nature of the exponential funtion).

Also, please learn to use LaTeX to post math equations. There is a link to the "LaTeX Guide" below the Edit window. Thank you kindly. :smile:
It looks like they are using the ##5\tau ## approximation.

Likes Edy56 and FactChecker
erobz said:
It looks like they are using the ##5\tau ## approximation.
Ahh, the old ##5\tau## approximation for ##\infty## -- got it. :wink:

Likes erobz
You don't need V as long as the criteria for "fully" is a percentage of V, as with the 5τ approximation, which is essentially a 99% done criterion.

Likes Edy56 and FactChecker
DaveE said:
You don't need V as long as the criteria for "fully" is a percentage of V, as with the 5τ approximation, which is essentially a 99% done criterion.
Thank you.

Likes DaveE and berkeman

1. How do I calculate the time it takes for a capacitor to charge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. What is the time constant of a capacitor?

The time constant of a capacitor is the product of the resistance and capacitance, represented by the symbol RC. It is a measure of how quickly a capacitor can charge or discharge.

3. How do I calculate the time it takes for a capacitor to discharge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to discharge can be calculated using the formula t = RC, where t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. However, the initial voltage and final voltage of the capacitor must also be taken into account.

4. What factors affect the time it takes for a capacitor to charge and discharge?

The time it takes for a capacitor to charge and discharge is affected by the capacitance, resistance, and voltage of the circuit. A higher capacitance or lower resistance will result in a longer charging or discharging time. Additionally, a higher voltage will cause the capacitor to charge or discharge more quickly.

5. How can I use the time constant to determine the charging and discharging behavior of a capacitor?

The time constant can be used to predict the charging and discharging behavior of a capacitor. A larger time constant indicates a slower charging or discharging time, while a smaller time constant indicates a faster charging or discharging time. This can be useful in designing circuits and predicting the behavior of capacitors in different scenarios.