Calculate time given distance, mass, and force

In summary, a new member was reminded by mentors to post schoolwork type questions in the Homework Help forums and to use the HH Template. The member asked about an equation for calculating the time taken for an object to travel a certain distance with known parameters of force, distance, and mass. They were advised to use the kinematic equations and provided with a link to further information. The member then asked about the amount of force needed to move a 1 kg object across the floor and was told that it depends on the resisting force of static friction. Finally, the member asked about a graph they created, with acceleration on the x-axis and force on the y-axis, and were advised to switch the axes and provide more information for further help.
efake
<< New member has been reminded by the Mentors to post schoolwork type questions in the Homework Help forums and to use the HH Template >>

Is there any equation to find the time taken for an object to travel a certain distance if I am given the distance the object traveled, the mass of the object, and a constant force that was used to pull the object? For example, if an object with a mass of 1 kg travels a distance of 100 meters with a constant force of 9.81 Newtons without stopping, is there a way to calculate the time it took the object to travel the distance of 100 meters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.:smile:

Yes, there are equations to help you do that. Are you familiar with the kinematic equations for a constant acceleration?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html

Click on Mechanics, and then Velocity and Acceleration, and then Constant Acceleration to see the equations...

Likes efake
@berkeman Thanks, I know about kinematic equations. But currently, I don't have the velocity or the acceleration. All I have is the constant force used to pull the object, the distance it traveled, and the mass of the object.

Force and mass give you the acceleration. Acceleration, velocity and distance are related by the equations show in the link. Makes sense?

Likes efake
Oh yeah! Okay. Thank you so much. Are there any other formulas other than f = ma and then finding time.
@berkeman

I think for your problem, F=ma and those kinematic equations should work. Give it a try and post your work here for us to check.

Likes efake
F = 100 N
m = 1 kg
a = ?
d = 5 km
a = 100/1 = 100 m/s
a = 2d/t²
100 m/s = 2(5000)/t²
t = 10 s
@berkeman

efake said:
F = 100 N
m = 1 kg
a = ?
d = 5 km
a = 100/1 = 100 m/s
a = 2d/t²
100 m/s = 2(5000)/t²
t = 10 s
@berkeman
Close, but let's fix up the units. It's good that you are starting to get into the habit of carrying units along in the calculation (helps to find errors and inconsistencies)...

F = 100 N
m = 1 kg
a = ? m/s^2
d = 5 km = 5000 m
a = 100 N/1 kg = 100 m/s^2
d = 1/2 a*t^2 (with Vo=0), so a = 2d/t²
100 m/s^2 = 2(5000 m)/t²
t = SQRT(10000 m / 100 m/s^2) = SQRT(100 s^2)
t = 10 s

Looks pretty eGenuine to me! :smile:

Likes efake
BTW, it's good to learn the fundamental units behind quantities like Newtons to help you with the equations. For example, 1 N = 1 kg*m/s^2

@berkeman Last question: Can you pull a 1 kg object with 5 N force or do you need 10 N to pull it across the floor?

Last edited by a moderator:
efake said:
Can you pull a 1 kg object with 5 N force or do you need 10 N to pull it across the floor?
Beats me. F=ma and the force needed to move the object depends on the resisting force of static friction, which depends on the coefficient of friction and the objects mass. Have you studied those concepts yet? :smile:

@berkeman Hey! I was creating a force vs acceleration graph. acceleration is on the x-axis and force is on the y-axis. I got the slope and it was equal to the mass of the object. However, I got a y-intercept equal to 7.74. What does this represent. Is this the friction or...?

efake said:
@berkeman Hey! I was creating a force vs acceleration graph. acceleration is on the x-axis and force is on the y-axis. I got the slope and it was equal to the mass of the object. However, I got a y-intercept equal to 7.74. What does this represent. Is this the friction or...?
Usually you would put the independent variable on the x-axis, and the dependent variable on the y-axis. The input on the x-axis causes the effect on the y-axis.

So switch axes and please post your plot. It's hard to understand what you are asking so far.

BTW, it's great that you are asking fundamental physics questions to understand and learn. Are you in school right now (or in the FalI guess)?

@berkeman I have measured the acceleration of an object already and I have found the force being applied on the same object. I have plotted this data on a graph and I have used a line of best fit to connect all the points. My slope has given me the mass of the object. However, my y-intercept seems very unusual. I expected it to be negative as I thought it might represent friction but I am getting positive 7.74 as the y-intercept value. Please explain if this is error in my data or am I interpreting this incorretly. Thank you.

And no I'm not in school right now. I was just trying to solve some physics problems that I found on the internet. Was interested and decided to do some of them :)

BTW, just to confirm The problem tells me to graph acceleration on the x-axis and force on the y

All schoolwork-type questions should be posted in the Homework Help forums, so I'll move this thread there now.

And we need to see a sketch of your setup and see your graph to be able to help.

I think this is all you need.

Attachments

• equation 1.PNG
    equation 1.PNG
    1.1 KB · Views: 765

1. How do I calculate time given distance, mass, and force?

To calculate time given distance, mass, and force, you can use the formula t = (2d/m)^1/2, where t represents time, d represents distance, and m represents mass. This formula is derived from the equation F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. By rearranging the equation to solve for time, we get t = (2d/m)^1/2.

2. What units should I use for distance, mass, and force when calculating time?

When using the formula t = (2d/m)^1/2 to calculate time given distance, mass, and force, it is important to use consistent units for all three variables. The most commonly used units for distance are meters (m) or kilometers (km), for mass are kilograms (kg), and for force are newtons (N). Using these units will give you the most accurate result.

3. Can I use this formula to calculate time for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula t = (2d/m)^1/2 can be used to calculate time for any type of motion, as long as the force is constant. This is known as uniform motion, where the object is moving at a constant speed in a straight line. If the force is not constant, the formula will not give an accurate result and other equations must be used.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should input the values for distance, mass, and force into the formula?

No, there is no specific order in which you should input the values for distance, mass, and force into the formula. As long as you use consistent units, you can input them in any order and still get the correct result.

5. Are there any limitations to using this formula to calculate time?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula t = (2d/m)^1/2 to calculate time. This formula assumes that the motion is in a straight line and that the force is constant. It also does not take into account external factors such as air resistance or friction, which may affect the actual time taken for an object to travel a certain distance. Therefore, this formula should be used with caution and other factors should be considered for more accurate results.