Calculate time (or fraction of orb. period) of sat. in umbra

In summary, to calculate the time or fraction of orbital period that a satellite spends in umbra during a total solar eclipse, the satellite's orbit radius from the center of Earth and the assumption of a circular orbit are needed. By using simple trigonometry, the angle of the Earth's shadow can be determined and then multiplied by the radius to find the length of the portion of the orbit in darkness. Dividing this by the mean motion will give the time spent in darkness. To get the percentage of the orbit in darkness, the angle can also be divided by 2pi or the distance spent in darkness can be divided by the circumference. It should be noted that the Earth's shadow is conical and may require more accuracy in certain scenarios
thor36
Greetings!

I would like to know how to calculate the time, or fraction of orbital period, that a satellite spends in umbra? (total solar eclipse for satellite when they aren't affected by Solar radiation pressure and solar panels don't generate power).

Information given would be satellite's orbit radius from the center of Earth, and orbit would be assumed circular.

Thank you and kind regards,
T

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Your satellite is in a circular orbit, so r (the radius) never changes. The Earth's shadow will project out nearly in straight lines. A straight line from the start of umbra to the end of umbra will equal the Earth's diameter. That, plus the radii for each of those points forms an iscoceles triangle. Some simple trig can get you the angle.

Once you have the angle (in radians), multiply it by the radius to get the length of the portion of the orbit that's in darkness. (optional since there's multiple ways to get what you want)

Divide your angle by your mean motion (average angular velocity) and you have the amount of time spent in darkness.

Comparing the time in darkness to the orbital period, dividing your angle by 2pi, or dividing your distance spent in darkness by the circumference will get you your percentage of the orbit in darkness.

Actually, since the Sun is larger than the Earth, the Earth's shadow is conical, but it's a cone that converges very slowly. If you want more accuracy, you really need to take into account that convergence. In practice, close is good enough - at least from a satellite operations planning point of view. I imagine there could be some scenarios (experiments, etc) where you'd actually need that extra accuracy.

Thank you BobG, I believe this will do!

What is the formula for calculating the time of a satellite in the umbra?

The formula for calculating the time of a satellite in the umbra is:
Time = (Umbra diameter x Orbital period) / (2 x Pi x Satellite's orbital inclination).

How do I determine the umbra diameter?

The umbra diameter can be determined by measuring the distance between the center of the Earth and the satellite's shadow on the Earth's surface.

What is an orbital period?

An orbital period is the time it takes for a satellite to complete one full orbit around its parent body.

What is the orbital inclination of a satellite?

The orbital inclination of a satellite is the angle between the plane of its orbit and the plane of the equator of its parent body.

Can I use this formula for any satellite in the umbra?

Yes, this formula can be used for any satellite in the umbra as long as the necessary measurements are known.