Calculate Unknown Voltages in Amplifier Circuit

In summary: Fig.1.b.Positive feedback through 100k makes both op-amp inputs +5V potential.Input current is 10uA, input resistance 10k, so Ohms law says V1 = 10k * 10uA = 100mV = +5.0VThere is current flowing in both ideal op-amp input terminals. So current through 100k must also be 10uA.The input current of 10uA flows up on through 100k. Therefore V2 = +5.0V – (100k * 10uA) = +500mV. Therefore V2 = +5.5V
Enochfoul
Hi

Does anybody have any useful material on how to calculate unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Enochfoul said:
Does anybody have any useful material on how to calculate unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit.
Yes. But there are many different types of circuits. It is best to attach a picture or post a link to the actual circuit.
We can then show you how to find the unknown voltage.

Baluncore said:
Yes. But there are many different types of circuits. It is best to attach a picture or post a link to the actual circuit.
We can then show you how to find the unknown voltage.
Here are the circuit examples. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-24-08-20-22.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-24-08-20-22.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 623
Hints for circuit a)...
There is an input current specified.
For the op amp to be operating in a linear mode what must the voltage be on the -ve input?
If the input impedance of the opamp is high, where does the input current go?

CWatters said:
Hints for circuit a)...
There is an input current specified.
For the op amp to be operating in a linear mode what must the voltage be on the -ve input?
If the input impedance of the opamp is high, where does the input current go?
Hi Thanks for the reply. I am just starting out with learning about these circuits so my original question was does anybody have any material that can help me understand how to calculate unknown voltages in these types of circuits. The image is an example of what I am working towards solving. The hints are much appreciated though.

You need to know that ...
An op-amp output voltage rises if input(+) is greater than input(–).
The op-amp output voltage falls if input(+) is lower than input(–).
That means that when input(+) is equal to input(–) the output will be stable.

Currents flowing through resistors drop voltages. Ohms law. V = I * R.
Chains of resistors form potential dividers.

Start here with op-amp circuits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operational_amplifier_applications#Amplifiers

Likes Enochfoul
Hi Enochfoul,

MIT has received permission to provide a older edition of "Op Amps for Everyone", which is Texas Instruments' stellar and easy-to-follow introduction to op amps. It covers almost everything you would need to know about op amps to become an expert, and will be really helpful in solving the kinds of problems you showed and can expect to encounter.

http://web.mit.edu/6.101/www/reference/op_amps_everyone.pdf

Likes jim hardy, davenn and Enochfoul
Thanks for all of your help.

OPamps for Everyone is a wonderful reference.
Beginners should print a hard copy and put it in a 3 ring binder for frequent reference.

Likewise AN31 , opamp circuit collection.
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/assets/AN-31.pdf

Likes davenn
http://www.ti.com/ww/en/bobpease/index.html?keyMatch=bob%20pease&tisearch=Search-EN-Everything

Thank you for all of the information there is a lot of it! I am still trying to figure out how to calculate the unknown voltages and I have looked everywhere for a worked example to show how to calcualte the unknowns. It is probably staring me right in the face in the materials you have given me! Does anybody have a worked example of a how to find these unknown voltages? I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of information out there.

My simple rules from post #6 hold.
Here is the first solution. Fig.1.a.
Negative feedback through 100k makes both op-amp inputs ground potential.
Input current is 10uA, input resistance 10k, so Ohms law says V1 = 10k * 10uA = 100mV = +0.1V
There is no current flowing in either ideal op-amp input terminal. So current through 100k must also be 10uA.
The input current of 10uA flows down on through 100k.
Therefore V2 = zero volts – (100k * 10uA) = –1000mV. Therefore V2 = –1.0V

Related to Calculate Unknown Voltages in Amplifier Circuit

1. How do I calculate the unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit?

To calculate unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit, you will need to use Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's circuit laws. First, determine the total resistance in the circuit by adding up all the resistances in series and parallel. Then, use Ohm's law (V=IR) to calculate the voltage drop across each resistor. Finally, use Kirchhoff's circuit laws to solve for the unknown voltages at different points in the circuit.

2. What is Ohm's law and how is it used in calculating unknown voltages?

Ohm's law states that the voltage (V) across a resistor is directly proportional to the current (I) flowing through it, and inversely proportional to the resistance (R) of the resistor. This means that if you know any two of these variables, you can use the formula V=IR to calculate the third variable. In calculating unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit, Ohm's law is used to determine the voltage drop across each resistor.

3. How do Kirchhoff's circuit laws help in calculating unknown voltages?

Kirchhoff's circuit laws are used to analyze the flow of electricity in a circuit. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of currents leaving the junction. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. These laws are essential in solving for unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit by setting up equations based on the known voltages and currents in the circuit.

4. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when calculating unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit?

Yes, there are a few other factors that should be taken into account when calculating unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit. One factor is the type of amplifier circuit, as different types (e.g. common emitter, common base, common collector) have different equations for voltage calculations. Another factor is the presence of other components in the circuit, such as capacitors or inductors, which may affect the voltage calculations. It is important to carefully analyze the circuit and consider all relevant factors when calculating unknown voltages.

5. Can I use a calculator to calculate unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help with the calculations for unknown voltages in an amplifier circuit. However, it is important to double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and variables. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of the principles behind the calculations so you can troubleshoot any errors that may arise.