Calculate voltage and temperature for this temperature-dependent resistor

In summary: In my opinion, it must be what is in my second image - if you take a picture of the first image with the second image next to it, you will be able to see the difference.
Edy56
Homework Statement
If RT0= 10 kΩ, T0= 25°C, B= 5,000 K, R1=R 2= 10 kΩ, and V=5 V, determine the value of voltage V OUT at temperature T0. When the temperature changes, the measured voltage value is V OUT = 1 V. Determine the value of the unknown temperature. Ignore the change in resistance of resistors R1 and R2 with temperature.
Relevant Equations
On the paper
Is my work correct?
IMG_20230604_232121.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You know what you wrote, but I cannot accurately read your photographs, so I cannot efficiently check your work. Maybe it is time you typed in your work or used LaTeX.

Likes berkeman, phinds, DaveE and 1 other person
While you consider describing the problem better, and showing us your work in a readable form, you might also ask a question about the part that is confusing you. Frankly, most of us aren't that motivated to simply grade HW. We've all done enough of that in the past.

Do you have a question about thermistors (which is what I think your working with), or the circuits they live in? What is the part of this that makes you think you may not have found the right answer yourself?

Out in the real world, engineer's have to check their own work. Your boss won't want to do that for you. It will serve you well, both in school and at a real job, if you start practicing that.

Likes phinds
DaveE said:
While you consider describing the problem better, and showing us your work in a readable form, you might also ask a question about the part that is confusing you. Frankly, most of us aren't that motivated to simply grade HW. We've all done enough of that in the past.

Do you have a question about thermistors (which is what I think your working with), or the circuits they live in? What is the part of this that makes you think you may not have found the right answer yourself?

Out in the real world, engineer's have to check their own work. Your boss won't want to do that for you. It will serve you well, both in school and at a real job, if you start practicing that.
I always end up making some mistake when doing these problems so I am worried. And I am not really interested in being this type of engineer, it's just a class I have to pass in my cs course.

The Homework Statement says B= 5000 K and in the photgraph I read B=500. I may be mistaken because my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Edy56 said:
And I am not really interested in being this type of engineer, it's just a class I have to pass in my cs course.
And you think that motivates us to help you?

Gordianus said:
The Homework Statement says B= 5000 K and in the photgraph I read B=500. I may be mistaken because my eyes aren't what they used to be.
It Is 5000. I forgot one 0 and then i wrote it so it's a lot less noticable but the problem is solved with 5000.

phinds said:
And you think that motivates us to help you?
No offense, but I am not interested in motivating anyone to help me. The replies would have been the same whether I was striving to be an engineer or not. The forum Is called homework Help, i posted because i needed Help, whether you want to help or not Is entirely up to you.

Edy56 said:
...whether you want to help or not Is entirely up to you.
I would help if I could read the question and the solution. I'm not going to waste time on GIGO.

Baluncore said:
I would help if I could read the question and the solution. I'm not going to waste time on GIGO.
I posted two questions yesterday and they were minutes apart. On the first one you said there Is a Latex guide, on the second one you said "It's time you learn Latex"... Give me a break. You don't know someone's situation, what kind of computer or phone they have to demand the use of Latex and type such Long calculations when they Can just take a picture. Especially when I could still get a reply that engineers should check their work by themselves.
If you want to help, help, otherwise, keep scrolling.
I have over a 1000 posts on math forum and no one ever demands you to type the problem. They just Ask you to take another picture so they Can see better.

Likes Tom.G
Edy56 said:
I posted two questions yesterday and they were minutes apart. On the first one you said there Is a Latex guide, on the second one you said "It's time you learn Latex"... Give me a break.
You appear to have conflated other member's replies with my one reply.

Baluncore said:
You appear to have conflated other member's replies with my one reply.
Okay sure, my mistake. But still, it's my third day on Here so give me a break about Latex. Not everyone Has time or resources to do it.

I hope you will agree with me, it is very difficult to read your draft. I made a large copy to see better.
In my opinion, it must be what is in my second image - if you agree.

Attachments

• Voltage and temperature.jpg
    Voltage and temperature.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Calculate voltage and temperature 02.jpg
    Calculate voltage and temperature 02.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 52
Likes Edy56
IMG_20230605_205828.jpg

IMG_20230605_205836.jpg

Hopefully this Is better.
I Got a different result so I might have made a mistake previously too.

I got the same result so I think it is ok.

Babadag said:
I got the same result so I think it is ok.
Thank youu

Likes berkeman

1. How do I calculate the voltage for a temperature-dependent resistor?

To calculate the voltage for a temperature-dependent resistor, you will need to know the resistance value at the given temperature, the current flowing through the resistor, and the voltage drop across the resistor. You can then use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to calculate the voltage.

2. What is the formula for calculating temperature for a temperature-dependent resistor?

The formula for calculating temperature for a temperature-dependent resistor is T = (R - R0) / α, where T is the temperature in Kelvin, R is the resistance at the given temperature, R0 is the resistance at a known reference temperature, and α is the temperature coefficient of resistance.

3. How does temperature affect the resistance of a temperature-dependent resistor?

Temperature affects the resistance of a temperature-dependent resistor because the resistance of the material used in the resistor changes with temperature. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the material also increases, and vice versa. This is due to the change in the atomic structure and movement of electrons within the material at different temperatures.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate voltage and temperature for any temperature-dependent resistor?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate voltage and temperature for any temperature-dependent resistor, as long as you have the necessary values for resistance, current, and voltage drop. However, the temperature coefficient of resistance (α) may vary for different materials, so it is important to use the correct value for the specific material being used.

5. How accurate are the calculated values for voltage and temperature for a temperature-dependent resistor?

The accuracy of the calculated values for voltage and temperature for a temperature-dependent resistor depends on the accuracy of the measured values for resistance, current, and voltage drop. It is also important to use the correct temperature coefficient of resistance for the material being used. With accurate measurements and the correct formula, the calculated values should be relatively accurate.