Calculate Volume of Truncated Square Pyramid | Yahoo Answers

In summary, we can use a technique from integral calculus called volumes by slicing to calculate the volume of a truncated pyramid. By summing the slices and applying the FTOC, we can find the formula for the volume and use it to solve for any given values. In this case, with an angle of repose of 32 degrees, a height of 18cm, and a top square of 20*20cm, we can calculate the volume to be approximately 47855.220519615943 cubic centimeters.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Truncated Pyramid Question?

If the angle of repose is given as 32 degrees, the height is 18cm and the top square is 20*20cm, can I calculate the volume?

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Sam G,

One method we can use to calculate the volume of the pyramid is to use a technique from integral calculus called volumes by slicing. We will slice the pyramid into horizontal square slices and then add the slices by integrating.

I would choose to orient the cross-section of the pyramid as follows:

View attachment 1132

We can now see that the volume of an arbitrary slice, a square slice of side length $s$ and thickness $dy$ is:

\(\displaystyle dV=s^2\,dy\)

where:

\(\displaystyle s=w+2x=w+2\cot(\theta)y\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle dV=\left(w+2\cot(\theta)y \right)^2\,dy= \left(w^2+4w\cot(\theta)y+4\cot^2(\theta)y^2 \right)\,dy\)

Now, summing the slices by integration, we find:

\(\displaystyle V=\int_0^h w^2+4w\cot(\theta)y+4\cot^2(\theta)y^2\,dy\)

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle V=\left[w^2y+2w\cot(\theta)y^2+\frac{4}{3}\cot^2(\theta)y^3 \right]_0^h=w^2h+2w\cot(\theta)h^2+\frac{4}{3}\cot^2( \theta)h^3\)

\(\displaystyle V=\frac{h}{3}\left(4\cot^2( \theta)h^2+6w\cot(\theta)h+3w^2 \right)\)

Using the given data:

\(\displaystyle h=18\text{ cm},\,w=20\text{ cm},\,\theta=32^{\circ}\)

we find:

\(\displaystyle V\approx47855.220519615943\text{ cm}^3\)

Attachments

• samg.jpg
    samg.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 60

1. How do I find the volume of a truncated square pyramid?

The volume of a truncated square pyramid can be calculated by using the formula V = (1/3)h(a^2 + ab + b^2), where V is the volume, h is the height of the pyramid, a and b are the lengths of the two parallel sides of the base.

2. What are the units of measurement for the volume of a truncated square pyramid?

The units of measurement for the volume of a truncated square pyramid will depend on the units used for the length and height of the pyramid. For example, if the length and height are measured in centimeters, the volume will be in cubic centimeters (cm^3).

3. Can the volume of a truncated square pyramid be negative?

No, the volume of a truncated square pyramid cannot be negative. It is a measurement of the amount of space inside the pyramid, and therefore must always be a positive value.

4. How accurate is the volume calculation for a truncated square pyramid?

The accuracy of the volume calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurements used for the length and height of the pyramid. The more precise the measurements, the more accurate the volume calculation will be.

5. Are there any real-life applications for calculating the volume of a truncated square pyramid?

Yes, the volume of a truncated square pyramid can be used in various real-life applications such as in architecture, engineering, and construction. It can also be used in calculating the volume of objects with a similar shape, such as ice cream cones or roofs with a square pyramid shape.