Calculate Work Done by Force (152N): 1657.2J

In summary: So when you multiply them, you are limited to two sig figs in the answer, which is why it rounds to 1660J. In summary, the work done by the force is 1660J due to the limited number of significant figures in the given values.
DaDoctor
PHSCS41-716.jpg

How much work is done by the force?
W= F * Δs * CosθW= (152N) * (13m) * Cos(33°)
W=1976 * Cos(33°)
W=1657.2

So I'm fairly confident I got this right since the answer is 1660J my question is Why would I have to round it up to 1660 to get it to Joules? I'm not really looking for help on the answer just an explanation as to WHY? Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's already in joules. When you multiply force by distance,
W=F*d*cos(theta)
Joules = Newtons * meters * [no dimensions for trig]

Likes DaDoctor
Engineer at UIC said:
It's already in joules. When you multiply force by distance,
W=F*d*cos(theta)
Joules = Newtons * meters * [no dimensions for trig]
ok but why the rounding to 1660 from 1657? That is kind of confusing to me so i really want to know to make sure I am not missing anything important.

DaDoctor said:
ok but why the rounding to 1660 from 1657? That is kind of confusing to me so i really want to know to make sure I am not missing anything important.

You can only answer with as many significant figures as you're given. 1657 is 4 significant figures, but your force only had three.

Likes DaDoctor
Engineer at UIC said:
You can only answer with as many significant figures as you're given. 1657 is 4 significant figures, but your force only had three.
Oh... that makes a lot of sense! Thank you for your help!

Engineer at UIC said:
The force has three sig figs, but I believe the distance the box was moved (13 m) only has two.

What is the formula for calculating work done by force?

The formula for calculating work done by force is W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is force, d is the displacement, and theta is the angle between the force vector and displacement vector.

How do I calculate work done by a force with a given amount of force and displacement?

To calculate work done by a force, you need to multiply the force by the displacement and the cosine of the angle between the force and displacement vectors. For example, if the force is 152N and the displacement is 5m, and the angle between the two vectors is 0 degrees, the calculation would be: W = 152N * 5m * cos(0) = 760J. Therefore, the work done by the force is 760J.

What is the unit of measurement for work done by force?

The unit of measurement for work done by force is joules (J). This is derived from the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where F is measured in newtons (N), d is measured in meters (m), and cos(theta) is unitless.

Can work done by a force be negative?

Yes, work done by a force can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the force and displacement vectors is greater than 90 degrees. In this case, the cosine of the angle will be negative, resulting in a negative value for work. This can also occur if the force is in the opposite direction of the displacement.

How does work done by a force relate to energy?

Work done by a force is the transfer of energy from one object to another. The work done by a force is directly proportional to the change in the object's kinetic energy. This means that if work is done on an object, its kinetic energy will increase by the same amount. Similarly, if work is done by an object, its kinetic energy will decrease by the same amount.