Calculating a force on a member (Statics)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the force on member BC in a system of connected members. The process involves cutting the member AC at a specific point and using the principle of equilibrium to determine the internal force within member BC. This force can then be used to calculate the axial and shear components of the force in member BC. Further resources are provided for additional clarification.
bardia sepehrnia
upload_2019-2-16_1-45-29.png

I isolated the member ABC and drew the free body diagram:
upload_2019-2-16_1-46-37.png

α is then calculated using inverse tan: Tan-1=(6.25+15)/50=23.03
Then force of member BD on the joint can be found by sum of all moments around point A.
upload_2019-2-16_1-52-35.png

Then Ax is calculated which is equal to BD×Cos(α)=235.2×Cos(23.03) Ax=216.48
Then I draw free body diagram of the block with joint A:
upload_2019-2-16_1-58-49.png

Then P=Ax=216.48.
I cannot to the second part of this question and calculate the force on the member BC!?
I can calculate Ay in first free body diagram however would that at all help me find the force on Member BC? Is the resultant force of vectors Ay and Ax the force acting on member AB?

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-16_1-45-29.png
    upload_2019-2-16_1-45-29.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,101
  • upload_2019-2-16_1-46-37.png
    upload_2019-2-16_1-46-37.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 1,012
  • upload_2019-2-16_1-52-35.png
    upload_2019-2-16_1-52-35.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 680
  • upload_2019-2-16_1-58-49.png
    upload_2019-2-16_1-58-49.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 640
Physics news on Phys.org
To find the force in member BC, try cutting the member AC just after point B by a bit.

Then for equilibrium to take place, there will be a new internal force introduced when you "cut". This force is the internal force of member BC. Take moments about point A and then solve for this force.

CivilSigma said:
To find the force in member BC, try cutting the member AC just after point B by a bit.

Then for equilibrium to take place, there will be a new internal force introduced when you "cut". This force is the internal force of member BC. Take moments about point A and then solve for this force.

I don't understand. Can you elaborate? Am I not supposed to firs calculate the force on AB member or is that irrelevant?

It's irrelevant to find force in member AB.

You need to "cut" the rod somewhere between point B and C if you want to find force BC.

We know there is a force in member BC. Imagine you cut the member somewhere from in between point B and C - call it point W.

Now you have two rods: A-B-W and W-C. Since the original rod was under equilibrium, the internal force resulting from "this cut" in member A-B-W and W-C must be equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This internal force also represents the axial force in member BC.

Here are a few links that may be helpful :

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~takebaya/lessons/method-of-sections.pdf

I really think that there is a typo in the problem, that it means to ask for the force in BD rather than the force in BC, which is only a part of the member ABC. BC has both axial and shear forces, as well as a varying bending moment. But anyway, as suggested, cut ABC just to the right of B, then look at the FBD of BC to find the force, or axial and shear components of that force.

1. How do you calculate the force on a member in statics?

The force on a member in statics can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the member, and a is the acceleration.

2. What is the difference between a member and a force in statics?

A member is a physical object or structure that is being analyzed, while a force is a push or pull acting on the member. The force on a member is what causes it to move or remain in equilibrium.

3. What are the different types of forces in statics?

The different types of forces in statics include tension, compression, shear, and bending. Tension is a pulling force, compression is a pushing force, shear is a force parallel to the surface, and bending is a combination of tension and compression.

4. How do you determine the direction of a force on a member in statics?

The direction of a force on a member in statics can be determined by using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the force and curl your fingers towards the member. The direction your fingers are pointing is the direction of the force.

5. What are the units of force in statics?

The units of force in statics are typically represented in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). Newtons are the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI), while pounds are commonly used in the Imperial system of units.