Finding Reaction Forces on Pin Supports in a Static Equilibrium System

In summary, to find the reactions on both supports in this problem, you will need to analyze each member separately and consider the forces acting on each member as well as at the supports.
arestes

Homework Statement

I am given the forces on picture and I´m asked to find the reactions on both supports. I see they are pin supports so they ask me for 4 unknowns.

Homework Equations

Sum of forces in both directions equal to zero
Sum of torques wrt a convenient point equal to zero
THREE equations in total, four unknowns.

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of forces in both directions equal to zero
Cx+Dx+200=0
Cy+Dy-150=0
Sum of torques wrt "C" equal to zero
3(Dy)-1,5Dx-(3) 200+ (3)150=0

Since I have THREE equations in total, four unknowns. I assumeI need to analyse members separately. I recall that members are supposed to be treated as weightless and subjected to two forces acting on the same line of action if they are part of a truss. However, Member ABC does´nt look like a truss member.

If I analyse pin B I see it can only have horizontal forces acting on it pulling from both sides. Vertically it should have zero force. If I set Cy=0 it leads me to Dx and Dy not being zero both of them and I discovera contradictions if I analyse the member BD because it would have Dx and Dy novanishing and only a horizontal force on the x axis, which produces a pair acting on that member BD.

Attachments

• statics.jpg
    statics.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 398
Physics news on Phys.org
You should analyze member ABC as a free body by itself, using the indicated applied forces. Because the entire mechanism is in static equilibrium, you will need some additional forces at pin B to keep ABC static. You can then analyze member BD by itself, since it must also be in static equilibrium, to find the reaction at D.

1. What are reaction forces on members?

Reaction forces on members are the forces that act on a structure or a member in response to external loads. They are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the applied forces, and are responsible for maintaining the structural equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate reaction forces on members?

To calculate reaction forces on members, you need to first determine all the external loads acting on the structure or member. Then, use the principles of statics to analyze the forces and moments at each support point. Finally, apply the equations of equilibrium to solve for the reaction forces.

3. What is the significance of reaction forces on members?

Reaction forces on members play a crucial role in ensuring the stability and safety of a structure. They help distribute the applied loads throughout the structure and prevent it from collapsing or failing. Additionally, they provide important information for designing and analyzing structures.

4. How do reaction forces on members affect the design of a structure?

Reaction forces on members are an important consideration in the design of a structure. They help determine the size and strength of the members, as well as the type and placement of supports. Neglecting to account for reaction forces can result in an unsafe or unstable structure.

5. Can reaction forces on members change over time?

Yes, reaction forces on members can change over time if the external loads on the structure change. For example, if additional loads are applied or removed, the reaction forces will adjust accordingly. Additionally, over time, the structure itself may experience changes due to aging, weathering, or modifications, which can also affect the reaction forces on members.