Calculating a standard potential

In summary: I have no idea what you are doing but I can see you have lost understanding of the problem. Start over from the beginning and read carefully what you are supposed to do. I am not sure you can salvage anything from this mess.
ssb

Homework Statement

From the standard potential [tex]Tl^+ + e^-[/tex] -----> [tex]Tl[/tex] (solid) [tex]E^o[/tex][tex]= -0.336 V[/tex]

Determine the standard potential of
[tex]Tl_2S[/tex] (solid) + [tex]2e^-[/tex] -----> [tex]2Tl[/tex] (solid) + [tex]S^2^-[/tex]

Given that the [tex]K_sp[/tex] for [tex]Tl_2S[/tex] is [tex]1.2x10^-22[/tex]

***I cannot get latex to put the -22 in the exponent. The Ksp is 1.2 * 10 ^-22

Homework Equations

Nernst Equation

[tex]E = E^o -(0.05916/n) log(concentration) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]E = -0.336 -(0.05916/2) log (1.2x10^-22)[/tex]

[tex]E = +0.312 [/tex]

Im wondering if the [tex]log (1.2x10^-22) [/tex] should be [tex]log (1/1.2x10^-22) [/tex]
because the concentration is the products over the reactants. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
10^{-22} = [tex]10^{-22}[/tex]

Write Kso formula for Tl2S and solve for [Tl+].

Borek said:

OK BOREK! You have given me some insight. Thank you! Products over reactants. and because the reactants are solid, they will be in the denominator as the number 1. Ok I was able to come up with the following calculation. I would be much appreciated if someone could confirm for me the accuracy. Thanks!

Calculate the standard potential ([tex]E_{total}[/tex]) of

[tex] Tl_2S (solid) + 2 e^- = 2Tl (solid) + S^{2-}[/tex]

given that the [tex]K_{sp}[/tex] of [tex]Tl_2S[/tex] is [tex]1.2x10^{-22}[/tex]

[tex]E_{total} = E_{Tl^+/Tl} + E_{ksp} = -0.336 + (0.05916/2) * log(1.2x10^{-22})[/tex]

[tex]E_{total} = -0.336 + (-0.648) = -0.984 [/tex]

so my answer is -0.98 when using significant figures due to the Ksp being 2 sig figs...right?
Look good?

No. Do what I told you to do.

Borek said:

Kso formula

[tex]Tl_2S = 2Tl^+ (aq) + S^- (aq)[/tex]

[tex]1.2x10^{-22} = {[Tl^+]^2[S^-]}/[{Tl_2S}][/tex]

[tex]Tl_2S [/tex] is a solid so we can remove it from the equation giving me

[tex]1.2x10^{-22} = {[Tl^+]^2[S^-]}[/tex]

So this is where I get confused... is the correct way to do it this:

[tex]1.2x10^{-22} = {[x]^2[x]}[/tex]

[tex]x = 4.9 x 10^{-8}[/tex]

Solve for Tl+. Not for some x, you are not trying to find out concentration of saturated solution (which you did wrong BTW - concentrations are different, not identical), but concentration of Tl+ as a function of Kso and [S2-].

Borek said:
Solve for Tl+. Not for some x, you are not trying to find out concentration of saturated solution (which you did wrong BTW - concentrations are different, not identical), but concentration of Tl+ as a function of Kso and [S2-].

Borek thank you so much for your help on this problem and that other problem I posted. Borek I am going to level with you... I am very confused. I thought I knew what a Kso was (something to do with solubility) but I don't know much more than that. In post # 3 (my first reply) I did something similar to what a TA did on a similar problem and I was following his steps. I am guessing that the problem is where i am taking the log but I really am not positive.

Can you give me a little bit more of a bump in the right direction please? Thanks.

Looks like you have problems with simple algebra.

[tex]K_{so} = [Tl^+]^2[S^{2-}][/tex]

Solving for [Tl+]:

[tex][Tl^+]=\sqrt \frac {K_{so}} {[S^{2-}]}[/tex]

Now put [Tl+] concentration into the original equation. As the question asks about standard potential, sulfide activity is 1.

Borek said:
Looks like you have problems with simple algebra.

[tex]K_{so} = [Tl^+]^2[S^{2-}][/tex]

Solving for [Tl+]:

[tex][Tl^+]=\sqrt \frac {K_{so}} {[S^{2-}]}[/tex]

Now put [Tl+] concentration into the original equation. As the question asks about standard potential, sulfide activity is 1.
Ok ok ok...

[tex]
E_{total} = E_{Tl^+/Tl} + E_{ksp} = -0.336 + (0.05916/2) * log(\sqrt {1.2x10^{-22}})
[/tex] ?

This would give
[tex]E_{total} = -0.66 [/tex] ?

Electrode reaction is still Tl+ + e- -> Tl...

Borek said:
Electrode reaction is still Tl+ + e- -> Tl...

omg did i do that honestly

[tex] E_{total} = E_{Tl^+/Tl} + E_{ksp} = -0.336 + (0.05916) * log(\sqrt {1.2x10^{-22}})[/tex]

= -0.984

Look good now?

Better, but still wrong. What sign in Nernst equation if it contains concentration of oxidized form?

Borek said:
Better, but still wrong. What sign in Nernst equation if it contains concentration of oxidized form?

It would make it negative wouldn't it?

[tex] E_{total} = E_{Tl^+/Tl} + E_{ksp} = -0.336 + (\frac {.05916}{-1}) * log(\sqrt {1.2x10^{-22}}) [/tex]

= 0.312 volts

with sig figs making the answer 0.31 volts

This has to be correct this time. (btw thanks you have been unknowingly teaching me latex as well!)

Oops, sorry. You have been juggling signs and log argument and at about 1 a.m. you've lost me. -0.984 was OK. Still, your original Nernst equation

ssb said:
[tex]E = E^o -(0.05916/n) log(concentration) [/tex]

is incorrect, as long as it doesn't state concentration of what.

[tex]E = E_0 + \frac {RT} {nF} ln {\frac {[Ox]} {[Red]}}[/tex]

if reduced form is solid, it simplifies to

[tex]E = E_0 + \frac {RT} {nF} ln {[Ox]}[/tex]

or

[tex]E = E_0 + \frac {0.05916} {n} log {[Ox]}[/tex]

Related to Calculating a standard potential

1. What is a standard potential?

A standard potential is a measure of the ability of a species to undergo oxidation or reduction in a chemical reaction. It is typically expressed in volts and is based on a standard set of conditions, including a specific concentration of each species and a temperature of 25°C.

2. How is a standard potential calculated?

A standard potential is calculated by using the Nernst equation, which takes into account the concentrations of the species involved in the reaction, as well as the temperature. The equation is E° = E°' - (RT/nF)ln(Q), where E° is the standard potential, E°' is the standard potential at standard conditions, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature in Kelvin, n is the number of electrons transferred in the reaction, F is Faraday's constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

3. What is the significance of a standard potential?

A standard potential is significant because it allows us to predict the direction and magnitude of a redox reaction. A positive standard potential indicates that the reaction is more likely to proceed in the forward direction, while a negative standard potential indicates a higher likelihood of the reverse reaction occurring. It also allows for comparisons between different redox reactions.

4. How does temperature affect the standard potential?

The standard potential is affected by temperature through the Nernst equation. As temperature increases, the value of RT/nFln(Q) also increases, resulting in a decrease in the standard potential. This means that the reaction becomes less favorable at higher temperatures.

5. What is the difference between a standard potential and an electrode potential?

A standard potential is a reference value that is calculated for a specific redox reaction under standard conditions. It is independent of the electrode used in the reaction. An electrode potential, on the other hand, is the potential difference between a specific electrode and a reference electrode, and it depends on the type of electrode used. The standard potential is used to calculate the electrode potential in a given reaction.