Calculating Acceleration of a Cyclist on a Starting Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration of a cyclist coasting down a 1.5m high and 12m long starting ramp at a professional biking track, ignoring friction. The only force acting on the bike is gravity. After using the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the track, the conversation then discusses resolving vectors and finding the component of the acceleration down the ramp. The question also includes parts b and c, which involve taking into account friction and finding the time taken to reach the bottom of the ramp.
jaron
greetings all

here is my question:
Starting from rest, a cyclist coasts down the starting ramp at a professional biking track. if the ramp has the minimum legal dimensions (1.5m high and 12m long), find the acceleration of the cyclist, ignoring friction.

i am having a hard time figuring this out. i use the pathagorus theorum to get the length of my track, 12.1m (also the hypoteneuse) but after that i am lost.
the only force i know is gravity. am i missing something here?

Physics news on Phys.org
jaron said:
greetings all

here is my question:
Starting from rest, a cyclist coasts down the starting ramp at a professional biking track. if the ramp has the minimum legal dimensions (1.5m high and 12m long), find the acceleration of the cyclist, ignoring friction.

i am having a hard time figuring this out. i use the pathagorus theorum to get the length of my track, 12.1m (also the hypoteneuse) but after that i am lost.
the only force i know is gravity. am i missing something here?
HINT: What is/are the force(s) acting on the bike?

Edit: Ahh, after re-reading your post I see that you have already figured out that the only [net] force acting is that of gravity. So, the only force that is going to make the bike accelerate is gravity.

What is the component of the gravitational acceleration acting down the ramp?

Last edited:
thats just it. it doesn't say.

there is a part b and c to the question but they don't seem pertinent to a
(but i will give them to you now anyways, maybe they are)

b) the acceleration of the cyclist if all sources of friction yeild an effective coefficient of friction of 0.11

c) the time taken to reach the bottom of the ramp, if friction acts as in b

jaron said:
thats just it. it doesn't say.
Can you work out the component of the acceleration down the ramp?

Do you know how to resolve vectors into their components?

Hootenanny said:
Do you know how to resolve vectors into their components?

i don't think i do.
what does it entail?

Maybe this will help?
http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/gbssci/Phys/Class/vectors/u3l3e.html

Last edited by a moderator:
that helps a lot. thank you.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Cyclist on a Starting Ramp

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is increasing or decreasing.

2. How do you find the acceleration of a bike?

To find the acceleration of a bike, you will need to measure the change in its velocity over a specific period of time. This can be done by using a speedometer or by timing how long it takes the bike to travel a certain distance. Once you have this information, you can use the formula acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time to calculate the bike's acceleration.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a bike?

The acceleration of a bike can be affected by various factors, such as the force applied by the rider, the weight of the bike and rider, air resistance, and the terrain. Other factors that may affect the acceleration include the condition of the bike's tires and the gear ratio.

4. How does acceleration differ from speed?

While acceleration and speed are both measures of an object's movement, they are not the same thing. Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing. In other words, acceleration is the rate at which an object is speeding up or slowing down.

5. Can the acceleration of a bike be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a bike can be negative. This occurs when the bike is slowing down, and its velocity is decreasing. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration or retardation.