Calculating Ambient Electric Fields in Thunderclouds for Aircraft Safety

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the ambient electric field experienced by an airplane flying through a thunder cloud with different charge concentrations at different altitudes. The equation F=kQ,Q2 / r^2 is mentioned, and the person asks for guidance on whether their calculation of -1.44^13 is correct. Another person suggests converting kilometers to meters and using a different value for k (9*10^9). The conversation ends with someone sharing an attachment for reference.
Binkey24
Sorry if i have posted under the wrong catagorie physics is new to me so I am still getting my head around it.

Here is the question that is giving me a bit of bother;
An airplane is flying through a thunder cloud at an altitude of 2km. If the cloud has a charge concentration of 40C at an altitude of 3km above the ground and -40C at 1km altitude. What is the ambient electric field exsperienced by the air craft?
Additional information k = 9 x 10^9 N-m/C^2)

so far i have think the equations to be used are F=kQ,Q2 / r^2

this is what i get when i fill the following information = (9*10^9)*(40)*(-40) / 1^2

this equaling -1.44^13
Am i going the right way about it or have i missed a few steps? any guidance would greatly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Convert kilometer to meter.

After changing the km into meters

(9*10^9) * (40) * (-40) / 1000^2

this gave me answer of = - 14400000
this answer seems a little big. or is it meant to be this large?

Hmm 40C is wayyy too big. But anyways, your not answering the question. What is the electric field experienced by the plane question mark. (Sorry keyboard problems)

Not sure if I can help at all, I'm stuck in the same place. I think we are studdying the same thing.

Just found this, hope it helps:

See attachment, it didn't want to past in here.

Edit: Note the diference in k from your origional question.

Attachments

• ENG1500 Ambient Electric Charge Aircraft.doc
    28 KB · Views: 724
Last edited:

Related to Calculating Ambient Electric Fields in Thunderclouds for Aircraft Safety

1. What are ambient electric fields?

Ambient electric fields refer to the electric fields that exist naturally in the environment, without any human-made sources. These fields are present everywhere, including in the air, soil, and water, and are caused by the movement of charged particles in the atmosphere.

2. Are ambient electric fields harmful to humans?

No, ambient electric fields are generally not harmful to humans. The levels of these fields are typically very low and well below the safety limits set by regulatory bodies. However, some individuals may be more sensitive to these fields and may experience mild discomfort in their presence.

3. What are the sources of ambient electric fields?

The main sources of ambient electric fields are natural phenomena such as lightning, solar radiation, and atmospheric electricity. Electric fields can also be produced by man-made sources such as power lines, electronic devices, and appliances.

4. How do ambient electric fields affect the environment?

Ambient electric fields play an essential role in the functioning of the environment. They can influence the movement of charged particles, which can impact weather patterns and the Earth's magnetic field. These fields also play a role in the behavior of animals, such as migratory birds and insects.

5. Can ambient electric fields be measured?

Yes, ambient electric fields can be measured using specialized equipment, such as electric field meters. These devices can detect the strength and direction of electric fields in a given area. Measuring ambient electric fields is important for monitoring the effects of man-made sources and ensuring that safety limits are not exceeded.