Calculating amount of H2SO4 needed for dilution

In summary, the question asks how much 4.00M of HCl is required to make 100ml of a 0.200M HCl solution. The correct equation to use is (4.00M)(xL) = (0.200M)(0.100L). However, the multiple choice options provided do not match the calculated value of 0.000125L, indicating a possible mistake in the test.
LegitSci

Homework Statement

How much 4.00M of HCl is required to make 100ml of 0.400M HCl?

Homework Equations

M1V1 = M2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

Its (4.00M)*(xL) = (0.400M)(0.100L)
I think its 0.005L but the possible answer (multiple choice) say otherwise...

Physics news on Phys.org
I just need confirmation if i did it right or i messed up on something

Thanks

LegitSci said:
Its (4.00M)*(xL) = (0.400M)(0.100L)
This equation is setup correctly.

I think its 0.005L but the possible answer (multiple choice) say otherwise...
But the number you get is incorrect. Try re-doing the calculation.

They ask you how much of a solution is required to make (100 ml of) a solution a tenth as concentrated and you need a formula?

The question should say How much 4.00M of HCl is required to make 100ml of 0.200M HCl?

Oops typo, I meant to say (4.00M)*(xL) = (0.200M)*(0.100L)

but the multiple options are 0.000125L, 1250ml, 125 ml, 50,000ml

so please advise

naturally, i'd want to pick the smallest value which is 0.000125L, but its not what i got

Must be a mistake in the test (assuming you finally listed the problem and answers right).

LegitSci said:
4.00M of HCl
... or, 4.00 M H2SO4?

LegitSci said:
The question should say How much 4.00M of HCl is required to make 100ml of 0.200M HCl?
So the thread Subject is wrong?

1. How do I calculate the amount of H2SO4 needed for dilution?

To calculate the amount of H2SO4 needed for dilution, you will need to know the initial concentration, desired final concentration, and volume of the solution. Use the formula M1V1 = M2V2, where M1 is the initial concentration, V1 is the initial volume, M2 is the desired final concentration, and V2 is the final volume.

2. What units should I use for the concentrations and volumes in the dilution calculation?

The concentration should be in units of molarity (M) and the volume should be in units of liters (L) for the dilution calculation. Make sure to use consistent units for both the initial and final concentrations and volumes.

3. Can I use any type of H2SO4 for the dilution calculation?

No, you should only use a concentrated solution of H2SO4 for the dilution calculation. Make sure to check the label or consult the manufacturer to confirm the concentration of the H2SO4 solution before using it in the calculation.

4. Do I need to take into account the density of the H2SO4 solution?

Yes, you will need to know the density of the H2SO4 solution to accurately calculate the amount needed for dilution. This is because the concentration is expressed in terms of moles per liter (M) and the volume is typically measured in milliliters (mL) or liters (L), which are measures of volume and not weight.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when handling H2SO4 for dilution?

Yes, H2SO4 is a corrosive substance and can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin or eyes. It is important to wear appropriate protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling H2SO4. Also, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and follow proper safety procedures when diluting the solution.