Calculating an n X n determinant

TGV320
Homework Statement
Help in order to solve a determinant
Relevant Equations
Determinants
Hello,

I need some advice because I just can't figure out how to solve the problem. I could try to make the determinant triangular by adding all the b together, but that doen't seem a good way of solving the problem. Is there any direction I should be thinking of?

1699948294438.jpg
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not calculate the determinant for ##n = 2, 3, 4## and see whether a pattern emerges?

Likes TGV320, e_jane and topsquark
TGV320 said:
Homework Statement: Help in order to solve a determinant
Relevant Equations: Determinants

Hello,

I need some advice because I just can't figure out how to solve the problem. I could try to make the determinant triangular by adding all the b together, but that doen't seem a good way of solving the problem. Is there any direction I should be thinking of?

View attachment 335323Thanks
Hint: Follow PeroK's advice and find the determinant by expanding along the bottom row.

-Dan

Likes TGV320, e_jane and PeroK
By considering the Leibniz formula, one can figure out that only some terms survive, where the permutations do not contain zeroes.

Likes TGV320 and topsquark
Multiply the ##i^{th}## row by ##-a_i## and add it to the first. You just need to see what the top left element will be.

Likes TGV320 and topsquark
Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I have figured it out,though I never thought about getting the answer by experimenting on it, always thought it to n. That way of doing it with n=2 then 3 is quite illuminating.

1700045361111.jpg

1. How do you calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

To calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix, you multiply the top left element by the bottom right element, and then subtract the product of the top right element and the bottom left element.

2. What is the formula for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix?

The formula for calculating the determinant of a 3x3 matrix involves multiplying each element in the first row by the 2x2 matrix formed by the remaining elements in its row and column, and then alternating the signs of these products before summing them up.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix using the cofactor expansion method?

To calculate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix using the cofactor expansion method, you choose a row or column, calculate the cofactor of each element in that row or column, multiply the elements by their cofactors, and then sum up these products to find the determinant.

4. What is the significance of the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a matrix provides important information about the matrix, such as whether the matrix is invertible, whether the system of linear equations represented by the matrix has a unique solution, and the scaling factor of the matrix transformation.

5. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant indicates whether the matrix transformation preserves orientation or reverses it. A negative determinant means that the transformation reverses orientation, while a positive determinant means that the orientation is preserved.