Calculating Angle of Attack and Side Slip Angle for Flight Control Systems

• Thread starter mikedamike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the speaker is reading a book on flight control systems and is stuck on finding the rotation matrix for the wind frame. They need to calculate the angle of attack and side slip angle, which can be obtained from working out the projected airspeed vector VT on the aircraft. The speaker is seeking advice on how to calculate the airspeed vector and the angles. The book chapter they are reading, which is about the wind frame, has a more organized approach to the problem. The speaker would appreciate any help or advice.
mikedamike
Im currently reading a book on flight control systems and a I am stuck on a particular part. I am trying to work out the rotation matrix for the wind frame but I require the angle of attack denoted α and side slip angle denoted β i know what i need to do to get the answer but i require angle of attack and side slip angle and this is acquired from working out VT which is the projected airspeed vector on the aircraft

so my question is how would i work out the airspeed vector VT and therefore the side slip βangle and angle of attack α

The book chapter i am reading is in the URL below it is marked 1.3 Wind Frame it has a better structured way of presenting the problem.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/54702247/12/Wind-Frame

I would appreciate any help/advice

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
looks like that paper only covers navigation (interesting paper). angle of attack and slip angle are going to change as the plane fly's.

1. What is the angle of attack?

The angle of attack is the angle between the chord line of an airfoil (such as a wing) and the relative wind. It is a crucial factor in determining the lift and drag forces acting on an aircraft.

2. How is the angle of attack calculated?

The angle of attack can be calculated by measuring the difference between the direction of the relative wind and the chord line of the airfoil. This can be done using specialized instruments or by analyzing data from flight tests.

3. What is the optimal angle of attack for an aircraft?

The optimal angle of attack for an aircraft depends on various factors such as the design of the airfoil, the speed of the aircraft, and the desired lift-to-drag ratio. Generally, it is determined through extensive testing during the design and development process of an aircraft.

4. Can the angle of attack change during flight?

Yes, the angle of attack can change during flight depending on various factors such as the aircraft's speed, altitude, and control inputs from the pilot. Pilots must constantly monitor and adjust the angle of attack to maintain safe and efficient flight.

5. Why is the angle of attack important in aviation?

The angle of attack is important in aviation because it directly affects the lift and drag forces acting on an aircraft. An incorrect angle of attack can lead to reduced lift or increased drag, which can impact the performance, stability, and safety of the aircraft during flight.