Mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles in 3D rotations

In summary, the conversation is about trying to figure out how to perform a 3D rotation using a mix of intrinsic and extrinsic angles. The problem involves a platform in the shape of a box, with an inclinometer measuring angles α and β and a fluxgate compass measuring heading. The goal is to calculate the location of the centre of the box using global Cartesian measurements and the given angles. The solution is known if the angles are purely intrinsic or extrinsic, but due to the mix of angles, there is uncertainty on how to proceed. One suggestion is to apply the extrinsic calculation first and then the intrinsic calculation using the given point as the origin of the system.
aydos
Being scratching my head for 2 days and not getting anywhere with this one. I am trying to figure out how to perform a 3D rotation described via a mix of intrinsic and extrinsic angles.
Here is the problem:
I have a platform in the shape of a box with sides of length lx, ly and lz. The platform has an inclinometre measuring angles α and β from the vertical about lx and ly and a fluxgate compass measuring heading. I have a global Cartesian measurement p(x,y,z) of the top-right-front corner of the box and I would like to calculate the location of the centre of the box given p, α, β, γ, lx, ly and lz
I would know the solution if:
- α, β and γ were purely intrinsic rotations, or
- α, β and γ were purely extrinsic rotations
Due to compass reading being global, but the inclinometre readings being local, I am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any pointers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Couldn't you just apply the extrinsic calculation (p) first and then the intrinsic (l) afterwards? p(x,y,z) alone doesn't give you the complete information, but if you consider this point as the origin of your intrinsic system you should be able to perform all necessary calculations.

1. What are mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles in 3D rotations?

Mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles refer to the combination of both intrinsic and extrinsic rotations in three-dimensional space. Intrinsic rotations are rotations around the axes of the rotating object, while extrinsic rotations are rotations around the axes of the fixed coordinate system.

2. Why are mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles important in 3D rotations?

Mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles are important because they allow for a more comprehensive understanding of the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space. By combining both intrinsic and extrinsic rotations, we can accurately describe the orientation of an object from both the perspective of the object itself and the external coordinate system.

3. How are mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles calculated?

The calculation of mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles involves converting between different rotation representations, such as Euler angles, quaternions, or rotation matrices. This conversion allows for the combination of both intrinsic and extrinsic rotations to accurately describe the orientation of an object in three-dimensional space.

4. What are some practical applications of mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles in 3D rotations?

Mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles are used in various fields, such as computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering. They are particularly useful in computer graphics for animating 3D objects and in robotics for controlling the movement and orientation of robotic arms and manipulators.

5. Are there any limitations to using mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles in 3D rotations?

One limitation of mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles is the potential for gimbal lock, which occurs when two of the axes of rotation become aligned, resulting in a loss of one degree of freedom. This can cause unexpected behavior in certain applications and may require additional measures to avoid. Additionally, the use of mixed intrinsic and extrinsic angles may also introduce numerical errors, especially when converting between different rotation representations.