Calculating Angular Momentum and Torque of a Mass in Freefall

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular momentum and torque of a mass dropped from rest without air resistance starting at coordinates (x=xo, y=yo, z=0) at time t. The mass is acted upon by gravity, making the only force mg=dp/dt. Integrating this equation yields mgt=p. To find the angular momentum, the distance between the object and the point about which it is being measured must be determined, as well as the linear momentum of the mass. The net torque can be found using the formula \frac{d\vec L}{dt}=\Sigma \vec \tau. The process is then repeated with a different origin point at (x,y,z)=(2xo, 0
briteliner

Homework Statement

a mass drops from rest without air resistance, starting from coordinates x=xo, y=yo, z=0. compute its angular momentum about origin at time=t. compare it to the torque on the mass. repeat this, but pick your origin for the angular momentum and torque about the point (x,y,z)=(2xo, 0,0).

Homework Equations

F=dp/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

gravity is the only force so mg=dp/dt. separating and integrating, mgt=p. this is way too simple, how should i attack this problem? i feel that i am not given enough information

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\vec L= \vec R\times \vec P[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d\vec L}{dt}=\Sigma \vec \tau[/tex]

These should straighten things out for you. You found the linear momentum of the object, now find the angular momentum.

Last edited:
but how? what is r and what is p with the info i am given?

briteliner said:
but how? what is r and what is p with the info i am given?

[tex]\vec R[/tex] is the distance between the object and the point about which you're measuring the angular momentum and torques.

[tex]\vec P[/tex] is the linear momentum of the mass.

[tex]\Sigma \vec \tau[/tex] is the net torque on the mass.

What I posted was the definition of angular momentum, I am surprised you aren't familiar with it.

The second formula relates torque with angular momentum.

Related to Calculating Angular Momentum and Torque of a Mass in Freefall

1. What is freefall angular momentum?

Freefall angular momentum is the measure of the rotation of an object as it falls in a gravitational field. It is a combination of the object's mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is freefall angular momentum different from linear momentum?

Linear momentum is the measure of an object's motion in a straight line, while freefall angular momentum takes into account the object's rotation as it falls. Linear momentum is a vector quantity, while freefall angular momentum is a vector cross product.

3. What is the formula for calculating freefall angular momentum?

The formula for freefall angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

4. Can freefall angular momentum be conserved?

Yes, just like linear momentum, freefall angular momentum can be conserved in a closed system where there are no external torques acting on the objects in freefall.

5. What are some real-world examples of freefall angular momentum?

A spinning top, a rotating planet, and a figure skater performing a pirouette are all examples of objects experiencing freefall angular momentum. A falling object will also experience freefall angular momentum as it rotates due to air resistance and other external forces.