Calculating Angular Velocity with a Drop of Water on a Rotating Turntable

In summary, a discussion took place regarding a homework problem involving a rotating turntable and a drop of water being dropped 80cm away from the axis of rotation. The conversation focused on finding the final angular velocity of the system using the principles of angular momentum and moment of inertia. The solution involved calculating the moment of inertia of a rectangle and determining the distance of the drop from the rotation axis. The conversation also included a question about the distance of the drop from the center of the turntable.
nicnic344

Homework Statement

A large turnable shaped like a wooden board with sizes A and B and mass M rotates. A drop of water with mass m drops on 80cm from the axis of rotation. Find the final angular velocity of the system if the initial angular speed is ω.

Homework Equations

I know how to work this question out if it were to land on the edge of the turntable. However, I am not suree what to do if it lands 80cm away from the axis of rotation. I am not really looking for the answer, just the theory to work it out. I don't have any values... I just made the question up. Thanks!

The Attempt at a Solution

he angular momentum before the drop drops equals the angular momentum after the drop drops, or

Lb = La (b, a refer to before and after)

since angular momentum, L, = I w where I is the moment of inertia and w the angular velocity,we need to find the moment of inertia of a rectangle of sides, A, B

the moment of inertia of a rectangle around an axis perpendicular to the plane and passing throught the middle of the plane is

I=1/2 M(A^2+B^2)

so we have:

1/2 M(A^2+B^2) w = Ia wa

the moment of inertia after is the original moment of inertia + the moment due to the drop of water; for point masses (and we consider a drop a point mass), this contribution is mr^2 where r is the distance from the rotation axis

the pythagorean theorem tells us that the distance of m from the rotation axis is

r^2=(A/2)^2 +(B/2)^2 = 1/4(A^2+B^2)

so we have:

1/12 M(A^2+B^2) wb = [1/12M(A^2+B^2)+1/4 m(A^2+B^2)]wa

collect terms and solve for wa (notice, interestingly, that the (A^2+B^2) terms drop out)

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Is there a question in there?

I have one though:
r^2=(A/2)^2 +(B/2)^2 = 1/4(A^2+B^2)
I thought A and B were the lengths of the sides of the rectangular turntable?
Surely this radius is, therefore, the distance from the center to each corner?
Isn't the radius to the drop supplied to you in the question (80cm)?

Note: if I wrap "tex" tags around that, I get:
[tex]r^2=(A/2)^2 +(B/2)^2 = (A^2+B^2)/4[/tex]
... just saying.

Related to Calculating Angular Velocity with a Drop of Water on a Rotating Turntable

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement over time. It is typically given in units of radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is the measure of rotational speed, while linear velocity is the measure of straight-line speed. Angular velocity takes into account the direction of the rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. The formula is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. What are some real-world applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to describe the speed of rotating objects, such as wheels, turbines, or celestial bodies. It is also important in understanding the motion of objects in circular motion, such as roller coasters.

5. How is angular velocity related to angular momentum?

Angular velocity and angular momentum are closely related. Angular momentum is the product of an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) and its angular velocity. In other words, as angular velocity increases, so does angular momentum.