Definition of angular frequency in nuclear structure

In summary, @TSny clarified that the equation for angular frequency, ##\omega=\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}##, refers to the rotational energy levels of a rigid rotor, while the equation for angular velocity, ##\omega=\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}##, refers to the rotational energy of a nuclear spin. The differential definition of ##\omega_{\rm photon}## for a photon that changes the rotational energy of a rotor is given by ##E_{\rm photon} = \
patric44
Homework Statement
confusion about the definition of angular frequency in nuclear structure
Relevant Equations
E=hbar omega
Hi all
I am a little bit confused about the definition of angular frequency in the context of nuclear rotation, some times its defined in the regular way as
$$
E=\hbar \omega
$$
and other time from the rigid rotor formula
$$
E=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2I} J(J+1)
$$
where ##I## is the moment of inertia and ##J## is the angular momentum quantum number, then I saw omega defined as:
$$
\omega =\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}
$$
why the two definitions? any help on that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They are not two definitions. ##E=\hbar \omega## is a general condition.

The equation $$\omega =\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}$$
refers to a specific case of that general condition in which one is considering the rotational energy levels of a rigid rotor as you described. ##J## is the quantum number defining the total angular momentum exclusive of nuclear spin.

Likes patric44
Hyperfine said:
They are not two definitions. ##E=\hbar \omega## is a general condition.

The equation $$\omega =\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}$$
refers to a specific case of that general condition in which one is considering the rotational energy levels of a rigid rotor as you described. ##J## is the quantum number defining the total angular momentum exclusive of nuclear spin.
but why its not simply ##\omega=E/\hbar## then
$$
\omega = (\hbar/2I) J(J+1)
$$
why the differential definition

Reasonable question. I read right through the differential notation. :oops:

The equation above (post #3) looks fine to me.

patric44 said:
the rigid rotor formula
$$
E=\frac{\hbar^{2}}{2I} J(J+1)
$$
where ##I## is the moment of inertia and ##J## is the angular momentum quantum number, then I saw omega defined as:
$$
\omega =\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}
$$

In the equation, ##\omega =\frac{1}{\hbar} \frac{dE}{d\sqrt{J(J+1)}}##, ##\omega## represents the angular velocity of rotation of the rigid rotor or nucleus.

This ##\omega## would not be used in the formula ##E = \hbar \omega##. I'm not sure of the context in which ##E = \hbar \omega## is being used.

If the rotor or nucleus absorbs or emits a photon so that the rotation rate of the rotor changes (i.e.., the quantum number ##J## changes), then the angular frequency ##\omega_{\rm photon}## of the photon would be given by $$E_{\rm photon} = \hbar \omega_{\rm photon}.$$The corresponding change in energy of the rotor would be given by $$\Delta E_{\rm rotor} = \frac{\hbar^2}{2I} [J_f(J_f+1) - J_i(J_i+1)]$$ where ##J_i## and ##J_f## are the initial and final values of ##J##.

Last edited:
Likes patric44
Transition energies indeed.

Where did I leave my coffee?

Likes TSny
@patric44

My apologies for having confused you. I should know better than to post without thinking more carefully.

Hyperfine said:
@patric44

My apologies for having confused you. I should know better than to post without thinking more carefully.
no problem bro no need to apologies, thanks for taking time to consider my question, I appreciate any help 😇

I appreciate your tolerance, however mistakes are not good; thoughtless mistakes no matter how well intended are worse; and failure to acknowledge a known mistake is inexcusable.

We are all grateful to @TSny for a timely correction.

1. What is the definition of angular frequency in nuclear structure?

The angular frequency in nuclear structure refers to the rate at which a nucleus rotates or oscillates around its axis. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) and is an important factor in understanding the behavior and stability of atomic nuclei.

2. How is angular frequency related to nuclear stability?

The angular frequency is directly related to the moment of inertia of a nucleus, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. A higher angular frequency indicates a higher moment of inertia, which in turn leads to a more stable nucleus.

3. Can angular frequency be calculated for all types of nuclei?

Yes, angular frequency can be calculated for all types of nuclei, including stable and unstable (radioactive) ones. It is an intrinsic property of a nucleus and is determined by its mass, shape, and other characteristics.

4. How does angular frequency affect nuclear reactions?

Angular frequency plays a crucial role in nuclear reactions as it determines the energy levels and transitions of nucleons within the nucleus. It also affects the probability of nuclear reactions occurring, as higher angular frequencies lead to more stable nuclei and less likelihood of reactions taking place.

5. Is there a standard unit for measuring angular frequency in nuclear structure?

Yes, the standard unit for measuring angular frequency in nuclear structure is radians per second (rad/s). However, other units such as revolutions per minute (RPM) or hertz (Hz) may also be used depending on the context and convenience.