Calculating Arc Length of y=x^2 from 0 to 10 using Trig Substitution"

In summary, the arclength of the function y=x^2 between x=0 and x=10 is given by the integral of sqrt(1+(2x)^2) with respect to x, which can be solved using trig substitution where 2x=tan(theta). After integrating sec(theta), the final answer can be obtained by substituting theta back in for arcsin(2x) and evaluating ln(sqrt(1+4x^2)+2x) from 0 to 10. However, the dx term must also be taken into account, which is equal to 1/2*sec^2(theta) d(theta).
negatifzeo

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the function [tex] y=x^2 [/tex] when x is between 0 and 10.

Homework Equations

Arclength here is [tex] \int_{0}^{10} \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx [/tex]
(It's intended to be the integral from 0 to 10 of the quare root of 1+(2x)^2. My latex skills suck.)

The Attempt at a Solution

Trig substitution. 2x= tan (theta)

Integrate secant theta
Which is ln(sec(theta)+tan(theta))

Substituting theta back in for arcsin(2x)
ln(sec(arctan(2x))+tan(arctan(2x))) evaluated from 10 to 0. Solving for arctan(2x) my final answer is
ln(sqrt(1+4x^2)+2x) evaluated from 0 to 10. I know this is wrong as it is much to short of an arc length but I don't know where I went wrong. Any clues?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
negatifzeo said:

Homework Statement

Find the arclength of the function [tex] y=x^2 [/tex] when x is between 0 and 10.

Homework Equations

Arclength here is [tex] \int_{0}^{10} \sqrt{1+(2x)^2} dx [/tex]
(It's intended to be the integral from 0 to 10 of the quare root of 1+(2x)^2. My latex skills suck.)

I've edited your post to fix your TeX.

Trig substitution. 2x= tan (theta)

That's fine.

Integrate secant theta
Which is ln(sec(theta)+tan(theta))

That's not fine. Why would you integrate [itex]\sec (\theta )[/itex]?

Tom Mattson said:
I've edited your post to fix your TeX.

That's fine.

That's not fine. Why would you integrate [itex]\sec (\theta )[/itex]?

Well, when I use trig substitution here I change 2x to tan(theta). This changes the integrand to sqrt(1+tan^2(theta)). The trig identity says that 1 + tangent squared equals secant squared, and since it is the quare root of that it just becomes secant.

But you've forgotten about the [itex]dx[/itex].

Oh, duh. Wait, why am I having a hard time remembering how to get the dx here? Does dx here equal 1/2*sec^2(theta) d(theta)?

Yes, that's right.

Related to Calculating Arc Length of y=x^2 from 0 to 10 using Trig Substitution"

1. What is the "arc length problem"?

The arc length problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a curve or arc on a graph. It is commonly encountered in calculus and geometry, and involves using integrals and geometric formulas to solve.

2. How is the arc length problem related to calculus?

Calculus is used to solve the arc length problem because it involves finding the length of a curve, which is a continuous function. By using integrals, which are a fundamental concept in calculus, the arc length can be calculated accurately.

3. What is the formula for finding the arc length of a curve?

The general formula for finding the arc length of a curve is L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)²) dx, where L is the length of the curve, dy/dx is the derivative of the curve, and dx is the differential element. However, there are specific formulas for different types of curves, such as circles or parabolas, that can be used to solve the arc length problem more efficiently.

4. Can the arc length problem be solved without using calculus?

Yes, there are approximate methods for finding the arc length of a curve without using calculus, such as using straight lines to approximate the curve and then calculating the length of those lines. However, these methods may not be as accurate as using calculus and may only give an estimate of the true arc length.

5. What are some practical applications of the arc length problem?

The arc length problem has many real-life applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the length of a curved road or bridge, the circumference of a rollercoaster loop, or the trajectory of a projectile.