Calculating Area Density of Steel Discs

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of density and how it is expressed for three dimensional objects. It also includes a problem involving a pair of steel discs with uniform thickness and area density, leading to a calculation for the total mass of the object. The correct answer is determined to be 250∏, with a minor correction of the area density from 10 grams/cm2 to 2 grams/cm2.
bpinto

Homework Statement

In general, the density of a three dimensional object is expressed as mass per unit volume. However where an object is of uniform thickness its depth can be combined with the density factor allowing the density to be expressed in terms of mass per unit area. A pair of steel disks joined together are of uniform thickness and each has an area density of 10 grams/cm2

Homework Equations

ρ = m/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass of bigger disc
10 = m/25∏

Mass of smaller disc
10 = m/4∏

Total mass = 290∏

I don't have any idea what I am doing wrong as the answer is suppose to be 58∏

Attachments

• Q82.jpg
    Q82.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation of the mass seems to be correct. Is your problem statement complete?

Sorry it is incomplete I thought it was part of the attachment, the actual question asks:

What is the mass of the whole object?

I agree. Your calculation for the total mass looks right but was that the question?

You wrote...

Mass of bigger disc
10 = m/25∏

That's correct but to me it's a slightly a strange way to do it. I would write:

Mass = area * area density

= 25∏ * 10
= 250∏

Looks like it was supposed to be 2g/cm2

thanks for the help guys

Related to Calculating Area Density of Steel Discs

1. What is the definition of area density?

Area density refers to the mass of a material per unit area. It is often used to describe the weight of a material in a given area, such as the weight of a steel disc per square inch.

2. How is the area density of steel discs typically measured?

The area density of steel discs is usually measured using a scale or balance. The disc is weighed and the weight is divided by the area of the disc to determine the area density.

3. What factors can affect the area density of steel discs?

The area density of steel discs can be affected by various factors, such as the thickness of the disc, the type of steel used, and any coatings or treatments applied to the surface of the disc.

4. How does the area density of steel discs relate to their strength?

The area density of steel discs can provide an indication of their strength, as a higher area density typically means a stronger and more durable disc. However, other factors such as the type of steel and the disc's shape and size also play a role in determining its strength.

5. Can the area density of steel discs be changed?

Yes, the area density of steel discs can be changed by altering the thickness of the disc or using a different type of steel with a different density. Coatings or treatments can also affect the area density of steel discs.