Hole though the Earth and SHM: why is uniform density assumed?

In summary: But the answer should be in terms of the given and known data, which are m and ρ, regardless of what the problem statement says.
Vitani11

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is dropped into a hole drilled straight through the center of the Earth. neglecting rotational effects and friction, show that the particle’s motion is a simple harmonic if it is assumed that the Earth has a uniform mass density. Obtain an expression for the period of oscillation.

Homework Equations

The answer is that K = (4/3)Gmπρ and so T = sqrt(3π/Gρ), right?
K = force constant
G = gravitational constant
ρ = density of earth
m = mass of object dropped
T = period

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know why the constant K is not actually GmM/r3 and the force is not GmMx/r3 where x is the displacement of the object from equilibrium at any point within the Earth (I defined equilibrium to be at the center of earth). I think my issue is not understanding what it means to solve a problem using uniform density. I thought that uniform density meant that the mass per unit volume was the same everywhere in the earth, so the constant M is okay to leave in the equation since it's density is not changing. I want to understand this because there is a problem in my homework set which asks to find the electrostatic potential energy of a sphere of uniform density with charge Q and radius R. My mind tells me this is simply Q2/4πεR... but that can't be correct because it's too easy and that is the same as a point charge. What am I not getting?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani11 said:
why the constant K is not actually GmM/r3
Depending on exactly how you are defining M and r, that is the same as (4/3)Gmπρ.
For this question it is better to work in terms of the density because you have to consider different radii, and hence different masses.

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is dropped into a hole drilled straight through the center of the Earth. neglecting rotational effects and friction, show that the particle’s motion is a simple harmonic if it is assumed that the Earth has a uniform mass density. Obtain an expression for the period of oscillation.

Homework Equations

The answer is that K = (4/3)Gmπρ and so T = sqrt(3π/Gρ), right?
K = force constant
G = gravitational constant
ρ = density of earth
m = mass of object dropped
T = period

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to know why the constant K is not actually GmM/r3 and the force is not GmMx/r3 where x is the displacement of the object from equilibrium at any point within the Earth (I defined equilibrium to be at the center of earth). I think my issue is not understanding what it means to solve a problem using uniform density. I thought that uniform density meant that the mass per unit volume was the same everywhere in the earth, so the constant M is okay to leave in the equation since it's density is not changing. I want to understand this because there is a problem in my homework set which asks to find the electrostatic potential energy of a sphere of uniform density with charge Q and radius R. My mind tells me this is simply Q2/4πεR... but that can't be correct because it's too easy and that is the same as a point charge. What am I not getting?
Use the density ρ in the formulas. How is M related to the density and radius of the Earth ?

Likes Vitani11
Last question - this problem never gave me any variables other than m. However in the final answer there is ρ. Why is it convention to allow this in the final answer when it wasn't given in the problem? I understand why G, π, etc. are in the final answer. Is it because it's a constant? So whenever something is constant, I can use it in my final answer?

Vitani11 said:
Last question - this problem never gave me any variables other than m. However in the final answer there is ρ. Why is it convention to allow this in the final answer when it wasn't given in the problem? I understand why G, π, etc. are in the final answer. Is it because it's a constant? So whenever something is constant, I can use it in my final answer?
The problem said "A particle of mass m is dropped...", that means the mass of the particle was given, although not numerically. It was also said to assume that the mass density of the Earth was constant.
You need to give the answer in terms of the given and known data. They are m and ρ.

I know. My problem is not with the mass m, it is obviously given. I said ρ

Vitani11 said:
The problem statement says that the planet is assumed to have a uniform mass density, which it then simply calls ρ.

Likes Vitani11
Vitani11 said:
in the final answer there is ρ
Yes, that should have been specified in the problem statement. Looks like an omission.

1. What is a "hole through the Earth" and how does it relate to SHM?

A "hole through the Earth" refers to a hypothetical tunnel drilled from one side of the Earth to the other. This concept is often used in discussions of simple harmonic motion (SHM) as a way to illustrate the behavior of a pendulum or mass-spring system.

2. How is SHM related to uniform density?

Uniform density is assumed in SHM because it simplifies the calculations and equations used to describe the motion of an object. In reality, most objects have non-uniform density, but for the purposes of understanding SHM, assuming uniform density can provide a good approximation.

3. Why is uniform density assumed in SHM?

Assuming uniform density allows for simpler calculations and equations, making it easier to understand and analyze the behavior of an object in SHM. It also helps to illustrate the underlying principles and patterns of SHM without the added complexity of varying density.

4. Is uniform density a realistic assumption?

No, uniform density is not a realistic assumption for most objects. In real life, objects have varying densities, which can affect their motion in SHM. However, assuming uniform density can still provide a good understanding of the basic principles of SHM and is often used as a simplified model in scientific studies.

5. How does varying density affect SHM?

Varying density can affect the period, amplitude, and frequency of an object in SHM. This is because the varying density can change the distribution of mass within the object, altering its moment of inertia and therefore its motion. This is why it is important to consider real-life factors such as varying density when studying SHM in more complex systems.