Calculating Average Net Force on a Car Acceleration

In summary: So make sure to convert to SI units before doing any calculations.In summary, a student is trying to find the average net force applied by a car's engine as it accelerates from 50.0 km/h to 90.0 km/h in 12.0 seconds. They use the formula v=vf-vi and f=ma to find the acceleration, but struggle with the units. They are reminded to use SI units for mass, length, and time in order to get their answer in Newtons.
dance_sg
1) A student driving her 1.60 x 102 kg car at 50.0 km/h presses on the gas pedal and accelerates to 90.0 km/h in 12.0 s. What is the average net force applied by the car’s engine during this time interval?

2) v=vf-vi, f=ma, a=v/t

3) i found v by subtracting 90.0km/h by 50.0km/h. i also converted 12.0s to hours which gave me 0.003 repeated. Then i tried finding acceleration by dividing 40km/h by time. then i plugged that in the force formula and multiplied it by 1600kg, but when i find my answer, it is not one of the answers i can chose from.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your acceleration would be in units of km/h2. When you multiply this by kg, you get some unit of force, but it is certainly not Newtons!

You should convert everything to SI units.

what are SI units?

dance_sg said:
what are SI units?

Well, you should know this, because it's basically the first thing taught in introductory physics classes in school. In any case, the SI (Systeme International) unit system, also called the metre-kilogram-second unit system, is derived from the metric system and is a system of units in which everybody agreed that the metre, kilogram, and second would be the basic units of length, mass, and time, respectively. So the units of m, kg, and s are SI base units, and all other units are derived from them (i.e. all other units are combinations of these three). Actually there is one other SI base unit, the ampere, which measures current.

EDIT: It looks like I overlooked the kelvin, candela, and mole, but they are not relevant to problems involving motion.

ok, makes sense.
but the chioces given to me are all in Newtons..

dance_sg said:
ok, makes sense.
but the chioces given to me are all in Newtons..

The Newton is an SI unit. The point I was making is that if you don't use SI units for length mass, and time in your calculations, then the force you calculate won't be in Newtons. You should be keeping track of the units when you do your calculations so that you are aware of this.

A dimensional analysis:

[force] = [mass]*[acceleration] = [mass]*[length]*[time]-2

Therefore:

1 N = 1 kg m s -2

If you don't convert your distances from km to m and your times from h to s, then your force will be in units of kg km h -2, which is NOT a Newton and is therefore NOT SI.

Related to Calculating Average Net Force on a Car Acceleration

1. How do you calculate the average net force on a car's acceleration?

To calculate the average net force on a car's acceleration, you need to know the mass of the car and its acceleration. Then, you can use the formula F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. This will give you the average net force on the car's acceleration.

2. What is the unit of measurement for average net force?

The unit of measurement for average net force is Newtons (N). This is a unit of force in the metric system and is equivalent to kg*m/s^2.

3. How does the average net force affect a car's acceleration?

The average net force is directly proportional to a car's acceleration. This means that the higher the net force, the greater the acceleration of the car will be. Similarly, a lower net force will result in a slower acceleration.

4. Can the average net force on a car's acceleration be negative?

Yes, the average net force on a car's acceleration can be negative. This means that the net force is acting in the opposite direction of the car's motion. For example, if a car is slowing down, the net force will be in the opposite direction of its motion and will be negative.

5. How can I use the average net force to calculate the speed of a car?

To calculate the speed of a car using the average net force, you will also need to know the distance the car has traveled and its initial velocity. Then, you can use the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (which is equal to the average net force divided by the mass), and s is the distance traveled. Solving for v will give you the speed of the car.