What direction is the net force acting on a car going around a circular track?

In summary, Newton's 1st law states that the net force on an object is always directed towards the center of the object's motion. However, there is centripetal acceleration in this scenario, so the direction of the net force may not always be the same as the direction of the acceleration vector.
Thewindyfan

Homework Statement

A car is going around a circular track at constant velocity. What direction is the net force acting on the car pointing to?

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma[/B]
Fnet = m(v^2/r) --> don't really know if this will help me understand it, but if this will help me understand what's going on then that'll be great to keep in mind.
Newton's 1st law

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure about what direction exactly the net force would be acting in.
We know the car is going at constant velocity, so Newton's first law should be applicable since we're only considering inertial reference frames in my physics class.
But at the same time, there is centripetal acceleration in this scenario, where the acceleration vector is always pointed towards the center of the circular path
The confusing thing for me is that I'm unsure of whether it's correct to say that the net force is also pointing in the direction of the acceleration vector for this case, since I'm unsure of what happens if the force in the opposite direction of the acceleration vector is greater than the force acting in the same direction as the acceleration.

I feel like the answer should be my 2nd guess, but I'd like someone to clarify with me on this; if the force acting on the car in the opposite direction of the acceleration is greater than the force acting on the car in the same direction (and thus I would assume the net force is pointing in the opposite direction), does that mean the acceleration vector just becomes smaller overall or am I actually making sense with this assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thewindyfan said:

Homework Statement

A car is going around a circular track at constant velocity. What direction is the net force acting on the car pointing to?
... velocity is a vector, to be a constant the magnitude and direction must remain the same. Going in a circle, the direction of the velocity vector is constantly changing, therefore the velocity cannot be constant. So there is a typo in the problem statement. What should it say?

2. Homework Equations
Fnet = ma
Fnet = m(v^2/r) --> don't really know if this will help me understand it, but if this will help me understand what's going on then that'll be great to keep in mind.
... that is the magnitude equation for centripetal force ... the question is asking about direction. This should help...

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I'm unsure about what direction exactly the net force would be acting in.
We know the car is going at constant velocity[?!], so Newton's first law should be applicable since we're only considering inertial reference frames in my physics class.
But at the same time, there is centripetal acceleration in this scenario, where the acceleration vector is always pointed towards the center of the circular path...
Do you know the equation for centripetal acceleration?
Can you relate that equation to the one for Fnet you have above?

The confusing thing for me is that I'm unsure of whether it's correct to say that the net force is also pointing in the direction of the acceleration vector for this case, since I'm unsure of what happens if the force in the opposite direction of the acceleration vector is greater than the force acting in the same direction as the acceleration.
Do you know a vector equation that relates net force vector to acceleration vector? (Hint: Newton's Laws). What does that say about the direction of the force and acceleration?

You are clearly doing a section on circular motion in class ... your textbook and/or class notes should have some diagrams which show you the direction of the force, probably close to where they also give you the equation for Fnet you wrote out above. If not, you can google "circular motion" and read.

I feel like the answer should be my 2nd guess, but I'd like someone to clarify with me on this; if the force acting on the car in the opposite direction of the acceleration is greater than the force acting on the car in the same direction (and thus I would assume the net force is pointing in the opposite direction), does that mean the acceleration vector just becomes smaller overall or am I actually making sense with this assumption?
If an object has two forces on it, and the forces act in opposite directions, how is the direction of the accekleration determined?
If we start with an object mass ##m## accelerating to the left with acceleration ##a_1## then we can deduce that the net force is ##\vec F_1=m a_1 \hat\imath##... if we then introduce another force ##\vec F_2 = -k\vec F_1 : k>1## i.e. it acts opposite F1 and is bigger ... then you can work out ##\vec a_2## to see what happens.

Likes Thewindyfan
Simon Bridge said:
... velocity is a vector, to be a constant the magnitude and direction must remain the same. Going in a circle, the direction of the velocity vector is constantly changing, therefore the velocity cannot be constant. So there is a typo in the problem statement. What should it say?
Ah my mistake! I meant constant speed, so the magnitude of the velocity remains constant the entire time. I may have also improperly used the term "centripetal acceleration" to refer to the idea that in uniform circular motion, the acceleration vector always points to the center of the circular path. Sorry for making that mistake, since it seems you answered a question that would be a bit more involved.

Thewindyfan said:
Ah my mistake! I meant constant speed, so the magnitude of the velocity remains constant the entire time.
Well done.
I may have also improperly used the term "centripetal acceleration" to refer to the idea that in uniform circular motion, the acceleration vector always points to the center of the circular path.
No - that is the correct terminology.
Sorry for making that mistake, since it seems you answered a question that would be a bit more involved.
No - I answered the question assuming you meant "speed" rather than velocity ... so the reply stands.
You didn't get the simple answer you were expecting because you are better served using your understanding to figure it out for yourself.

Likes Thewindyfan
Simon Bridge said:
Well done.
No - that is the correct terminology.
No - I answered the question assuming you meant "speed" rather than velocity ... so the reply stands.
You didn't get the simple answer you were expecting because you are better served using your understanding to figure it out for yourself.
Upon re-reading what you said in the last part of your reply, I think I understood the point you made with the idea of the acceleration happening to the left and the force opposite of that acceleration being > the force in the direction of the acceleration, which you would then end up finding a2 to be < a1 because while it's still accelerating to the left, the force opposing the acceleration is affecting the magnitude of that acceleration. Am I understanding that correctly?

If so, that means that the net force vector is pointing radially inwards to the center of the circular path then.

Thewindyfan said:
Am I understanding that correctly?
No. You apparently did not understand that I intended for you to do the math. ##\sum \vec F = m\vec a \implies m\vec a_2 = \vec F_1 + \vec F_2##

Thewindyfan said:
If so, that means that the net force vector is pointing radially inwards to the center of the circular path then.
Yes, though I did not follow the a1, a2 discussion.

Likes Thewindyfan
... it's off the detailed question earlier.

Of course the acceleration always points in the same direction as the net (resultant) force. That is what Newton's law says.

Likes Thewindyfan
Sorry guys, this question was pretty straightforward but I must've been really overthinking simple things the last couple of days. I think I'm going to take another look at how I'm managing my time. Thank you for the help!

1. What is a net force?

A net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account all of the individual forces acting on it.

2. How is net force calculated?

Net force is calculated by adding up all of the individual forces acting on an object, taking into account their magnitudes and directions. This can be done using vector addition.

3. Why is net force important in the movement of a car?

Net force is important in the movement of a car because it determines the acceleration of the car. In order for the car to move, the net force must be non-zero.

4. How does the net force acting on a car affect its speed?

The net force acting on a car can affect its speed by either increasing or decreasing it. If the net force is in the same direction as the car's velocity, it will increase the speed. If the net force is in the opposite direction, it will decrease the speed.

5. Can the net force acting on a car be negative?

Yes, the net force acting on a car can be negative. This means that the direction of the net force is opposite to the direction of the car's motion, causing the car to slow down or come to a stop.