Projectile Motion: Determining Launch Angle

And sec2=1+tan2.I don't know how to isolate a variable after this. I know Sin/cos is tan but I don't think that helps.In summary, the problem involves a hunter aiming a high velocity semi-automatic rifle at a moose that is 500.0 m away, with a muzzle velocity of 2500.0 feet per second. The goal is to determine the angle of launch above the horizontal to hit the moose in the neck that is 2.0 m above the ground where he stands. The solution involves converting the muzzle velocity to 762m/s and using equations for horizontal and vertical motion. The final equation involves trigonometric functions and solving for the angle using algebraic
EggsBenedict1

Homework Statement

A hunter aims a high velocity semi-automatic rifle at a moose that is 500.0 m away in a direct line of sight. The moose stands 40.0 m below the horizontal in a depression with a bog at the bottom. The muzzle velocity is 2500.0 feet per second and the sight on the rifle is missing.

Determine the angle of launch above the horizontal to hit the moose in the neck that is 2.0 m above the ground where he stands.

Vi=762m/s
dx=500m
dy=-38m

Homework Equations

dy=Viyt+1/2at^2
Vx=dx/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the muzzle velocity of 2500 ft/s needs to be converted to 762m/s.

I've looked at my equation sheet and there are always two or more unknown variables. Because of that, I've tried creating a system of equations. I've rearranged the x velocity equation (Vx=dx/t) to get t=500/762Cos(theta) and substituted that into dy=vit+1/2at^2. However, that turned out to be very complicated and I don't think we'd be expected to do that. I'm assuming I'm over complicating things.

Physics news on Phys.org
EggsBenedict1 said:

Homework Statement

A hunter aims a high velocity semi-automatic rifle at a moose that is 500.0 m away in a direct line of sight. The moose stands 40.0 m below the horizontal in a depression with a bog at the bottom. The muzzle velocity is 2500.0 feet per second and the sight on the rifle is missing.

Determine the angle of launch above the horizontal to hit the moose in the neck that is 2.0 m above the ground where he stands.

Vi=762m/s
dx=500m
dy=-38m

Homework Equations

dy=Viyt+1/2at^2
Vx=dx/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the muzzle velocity of 2500 ft/s needs to be converted to 762m/s.

I've looked at my equation sheet and there are always two or more unknown variables. Because of that, I've tried creating a system of equations. I've rearranged the x velocity equation (Vx=dx/t) to get t=500/762Cos(theta) and substituted that into dy=vit+1/2at^2. However, that turned out to be very complicated and I don't think we'd be expected to do that. I'm assuming I'm over complicating things.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That looks like the correct approach. Can you show us the next steps in your solution for the y(t) values, and show us what time you end up with?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That looks like the correct approach. Can you show us the next steps in your solution for the y(t) values, and show us what time you end up with?

Thanks!
-38=(762Sin)(500/762cos)+ (-4.9)(500/762cos)^2

-38=500(sin/cos) + (-4.9)(500^2/762^2)(cos^2)

-30-(500)(sin/cos)=(-2.109)(cos^2)

14.21-(-236.99)(Sin/cos)=cos^2

I don't know how to isolate a variable after this. I know Sin/cos is tan but I don't think that helps.

EggsBenedict1 said:
Thanks!
-38=(762Sin)(500/762cos)+ (-4.9)(500/762cos)^2

-38=500(sin/cos) + (-4.9)(500^2/762^2)(cos^2)

-30-(500)(sin/cos)=(-2.109)(cos^2)
O
14.21-(-236.99)(Sin/cos)=cos^2

I don't know how to isolate a variable after this. I know Sin/cos is tan but I don't think that helps.
There are many advantages in working entirely algebraically, not plugging in any numbers until the final step.
Something went wrong in your handling of the cos2 term. Pay close attention to the parentheses.

When you have corrected that error, you will need to use several trig facts. As you say, sin/cos=tan; also 1/cos=sec and sec2=1+tan2.

Likes berkeman
haruspex said:
There are many advantages in working entirely algebraically, not plugging in any numbers until the final step.
Something went wrong in your handling of the cos2 term. Pay close attention to the parentheses.

When you have corrected that error, you will need to use several trig facts. As you say, sin/cos=tan; also 1/cos=sec and sec2=1+tan2.

I think I know what I did wrong with the parentheses. However, we've never learned about the other trig facts such as sec. So I'm thinking there's either another way to do it or my teacher made a mistake and assumed we were more advanced in pre-calculus than we are. (I'm only about two months into grade 12)

EggsBenedict1 said:
I know what I did wrong with the parentheses
So what algebraic equation do you get now, in terms of v, g, y and θ?
EggsBenedict1 said:
I'm thinking there's either another way to do it
You know sin2+cos2=1, right? So (sin/cos)2+1=(1/cos)2.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air at a constant velocity, subject to the force of gravity.

2. How is the launch angle of a projectile determined?

The launch angle of a projectile is determined by analyzing the initial velocity of the object and the height and distance of the target. This can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the range equation and the trajectory equation.

3. What factors can affect the launch angle of a projectile?

The launch angle of a projectile can be affected by the initial velocity, air resistance, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as the shape and weight of the object can also have an impact.

4. How does the launch angle affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The launch angle determines the shape and height of the projectile's trajectory. A higher launch angle will result in a higher trajectory, while a lower launch angle will result in a flatter trajectory. The launch angle can also affect the distance the projectile travels.

5. How is the launch angle used in real-world applications?

The launch angle is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as sports like baseball and golf, where the angle of the ball's trajectory is crucial for achieving the desired distance and accuracy. It is also used in engineering and physics for designing and analyzing the motion of projectiles in various scenarios.