Calculating Bivariate Normal Probabilities

In summary, The problem discussed is to determine the probability of ##0 < X+Y < 6## given a bivariate normal distribution with specific parameters. The approach suggested is to consider a single random variable ##Z## defined as ##X+Y## and to estimate or bound the tail probability of ##Z##, which can then be added to ##\frac{1}{2}## to find the desired probability. The discussion also mentions the possibility of using analytic bounds instead of numerical methods.
showzen
Hello good people of PF, I came across this problem today.

Problem Statement
Given bivariate normal distribution ##X,Y \sim N(\mu_x=\mu_y=0, \sigma_x=\sigma_y=1, \rho=0.5)##,

determine ##P(0 < X+Y < 6)##.

My Approach
I reason that
$$ P(0 < X+Y < 6) = P(-X < Y < 6-X)$$
$$ = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \int_{-x}^{6-x} f(x,y) dy dx$$
where ##f(x,y)## is the bivariate normal density with parameters above.
I could not solve this problem analytically, but numerically I get an answer of 0.499734.

Discussion
First, I would like to know if my reasoning is correct?
Second, is there a better method for this type of calculation? I am especially interested in any analytic solutions.

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't see you explicitly use ##\rho## in here or what ##f(x,y)## is or how you did this numerically, though the answer looks about right...

showzen said:
Second, is there a better method for this type of calculation? I am especially interested in any analytic solutions.

Yes. In terms of streamlining the problem, a single 1-D random variable is easier to work with than a 2-D joint random variable, so consider ##Z:=(X+Y)##

The fact is you should be able to easily calculate the mean, and variance of ##Z## and (not so easily) confirm that this is a normal random variable. ##Z## has zero mean but is normal so ##Pr(Z \leq 0) = \frac{1}{2}##, and you now want to (i) estimate or bound the tail -- in particular find probability that ##Pr(Z \geq 6)## then (ii) add it to ##\frac{1}{2}## and (iii) then find the complement.

For (i), as a hint I'd suggest dividing both ##Z## and ##6## by the standard deviation of ##Z## as standard normal random variables are easiest to work with... you could look the result up in a table but I'll flag that this is a rare event probability i.e. it is pretty far out on the distribution of ##Z## so there are numerous analytical upper and lower bounds that may be used here to show that the associated probability is quite small. You're generally not going to find analytically useful integrals of Gaussians, so look to estimate and bound if you don't want to go a numeric route.

edit: using these analytic bounds, I can get

##0.499715 \lt P(0 < X+Y < 6) \lt 0.499736##

the bound on the left side is easy to derive, the one on the right is unfortunately rather difficult, though an internet search will of course find numerous bounds to choose from.

second edit:
The bound on the left is given by the 'slip-in trick' for integrals. While the other bound I used is a bit too involved, a close one (plus the slip-in related bound) is nicely given here:
https://www.johndcook.com/blog/norm-dist-bounds/

Last edited:

What is the bivariate normal distribution?

The bivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the relationship between two continuous random variables. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is often used to model data that exhibits a linear relationship.

How do you calculate bivariate normal probabilities?

To calculate bivariate normal probabilities, you need to first determine the mean and standard deviation for each variable. Then, you can use a formula or a statistical software to calculate the probability based on the values of the two variables and the correlation between them.

What is the correlation coefficient in bivariate normal probabilities?

The correlation coefficient in bivariate normal probabilities is a measure of the strength and direction of the linear relationship between the two variables. It can range from -1 to 1, with a positive value indicating a positive correlation and a negative value indicating a negative correlation.

What is the significance of bivariate normal probabilities in statistics?

Bivariate normal probabilities are important in statistics because they allow us to make predictions about the relationship between two variables and estimate the likelihood of certain outcomes. This can be useful in various fields, such as finance, economics, and psychology.

What are some common applications of bivariate normal probabilities?

Bivariate normal probabilities have a wide range of applications, including risk management, portfolio optimization, hypothesis testing, and regression analysis. They can also be used in quality control, weather forecasting, and other fields that involve analyzing the relationship between two variables.