Calculating Bullet Penetration: Momentum vs Coefficient of Friction

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the distance that a bullet will penetrate a block of mass M when it is shot with a velocity v. The problem is incomplete and may require additional information such as the coefficient of friction or the length of the pendulum. It is also mentioned that a resistance force is needed to solve the problem.
CrazyNeutrino
I shoot a bullet of mass m with velocity v against a block of mass M.
Find how far the bullet penetrates the block. This problem turned up in my friends examination and I believe it can't be done without the coefficient of friction. Am I right or can this be calculated using conservation of momentum. If so please show me how.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're right: Not enough information is given. (Is that the full problem statement?)

I think there are some variables missing:
Do you want the depth of the impact, or the length the block travels afterwards?
Is the big block part of a pendulum? (very common problem, needs length of pendulum)
Does the big block slide on a surface? (quite common problem, needs coefficient of friction)

Last edited:
A resistance force is needed to solve the problem inside the block.

No, I guess he didn't give me the entire question

I'm guessing he couldn't do it because he didn't read it properly.

Maybe. I need to ask him for his question paper

What is momentum and coefficient of friction in relation to bullet penetration?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In terms of bullet penetration, momentum is the force that propels the bullet through a target. Coefficient of friction, on the other hand, is a measure of the resistance of an object to motion when in contact with another surface. In bullet penetration, the coefficient of friction refers to the resistance the bullet encounters as it travels through a medium, such as air or a target.

Which is more important in determining bullet penetration: momentum or coefficient of friction?

Both momentum and coefficient of friction play important roles in bullet penetration. Momentum is crucial in providing the initial force to propel the bullet through a target, while coefficient of friction determines the resistance the bullet encounters during its trajectory. Therefore, both factors must be considered when calculating bullet penetration.

How do you calculate bullet penetration using momentum and coefficient of friction?

To calculate bullet penetration, you can use the formula P = M x V x C, where P is the penetration depth, M is the mass of the bullet, V is the velocity of the bullet, and C is the coefficient of friction. This formula takes into account both momentum and coefficient of friction to determine the depth of penetration.

Are there any other factors that affect bullet penetration?

Yes, there are several other factors that can affect bullet penetration, such as the shape and design of the bullet, the density and composition of the target, and the angle of impact. These factors can impact both momentum and coefficient of friction and must be taken into consideration when calculating bullet penetration.

Is there a way to improve bullet penetration?

Yes, there are several ways to improve bullet penetration. Increasing the bullet's velocity and mass can increase its momentum and therefore, its penetration power. Additionally, using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as lubricants, can reduce the resistance the bullet encounters and improve penetration. However, it is important to note that increasing bullet penetration can also increase the risk of over-penetration, which can be dangerous in certain situations.