Investigation regarding the rotor ride

Inaaya
Homework Statement
I would like some possible module 5 topics that I can investigate for the rotor at Luna Park that don't require an independent variable.
Relevant Equations
Fc=mv^2/r
So far some of the topics I can think of are Investigating how angular velocity affects the centripetal force experienced by riders on the rotor or the coefficient of friction required to pin the rider to the wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have so many fond memories of Luna Park. Moonlight, cotton candy, and you know... :wink:

What in thee hell are you asking about?

Likes nasu
berkeman said:
I have so many fond memories of Luna Park. Moonlight, cotton candy, and you know... :wink:

What in thee hell are you asking about?
I would like some module 5 topics that I can investigate for the rotor at Luna Park that don't require an independent variable.

I only have Module 6 topics from Wally World. Would that help?

Likes Chestermiller and nasu
I am deducing that there is a park somewhere (within 250,000 miles) named Luna Park and that it has a Rotor ride - the one that pins people to the wall.

What is a "Module 5"? Your usage of the term makes me guess maybe some sort of school grade level or study level?

Explain what you want to do with this information that members will surely scramble to get for you.

And finally, but most importantly, what have you come up with yourself?

Last edited:
Likes Chestermiller
The last time I rode one of these I came away with not so fond memories. The coefficient of static friction between my shirt and the cylindrical surface was adequate but not the coefficient of static friction between my bare back and my shirt. So I slid down whist my shirt went over and around my head. It was quite an experience.

What is this "no independent variable" constraint? I don't understand what you are trying to do.

DaveC426913 said:
I am deducing that there is a park somewhere (within 250,000 miles) named Luna Park and that it has a Rotor ride - the one that pins people to the wall.

What is a "Module 5"? Your usage of the term makes me guess maybe some sort of school grade level or study level?

Explain what you want to do with this information that members will surely scramble to get for you.

And finally, but most importantly, what have you come up with yourself?
Module 5 physics topics that can be investigated for the rotor ride at Luna Park for a project and so far I have come up with analysing the angular velocity of the rotor but I need more ideas on how to elaborate.

kuruman said:
The last time I rode one of these I came away with not so fond memories. The coefficient of static friction between my shirt and the cylindrical surface was adequate but not the coefficient of static friction between my bare back and my shirt. So I slid down whist my shirt went over and around my head. It was quite an experience.

What is this "no independent variable" constraint? I don't understand what you are trying to do.

We can't have an independent variable for our project because we can't change anything on the rotor.

Sometimes the experimental subjects are stuck to the wall.
Sometimes they are sliding down the wall.

Can you figure out what in their environment is changing to cause this?

1. How does the rotor ride work?

The rotor ride works by spinning riders in a circular motion while the floor drops away. This creates a sensation of weightlessness and centrifugal force that keeps riders pressed against the wall of the ride.

2. Is the rotor ride safe?

When operated properly and maintained regularly, the rotor ride is considered safe for riders. It is important for operators to follow all safety guidelines and for riders to adhere to height and weight restrictions.

3. What are the potential risks of riding the rotor ride?

Potential risks of riding the rotor ride include motion sickness, dizziness, and the possibility of injury if riders do not follow safety instructions or have pre-existing health conditions.

4. How fast does the rotor ride spin?

The speed at which the rotor ride spins can vary depending on the specific ride and operator. On average, rotor rides typically spin at a speed of 10-20 revolutions per minute.

5. How long does a typical ride on the rotor ride last?

A typical ride on the rotor ride lasts around 1-2 minutes, but this can vary depending on the operator and specific ride setup.