Short circuit calculation small network: gen motor transformer cables

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person seeking help with a short circuit calculation for school. They have a copy of the IEC61363 and internet resources to assist them. The network consists of a generator, switchboard, motor, and transformer. The person has calculated the peak current for the generator and motor, as well as the resistance and reactance of the cables and transformer. They are now trying to use the formula (I^2)*R to calculate the drop in short circuit current, but are still unsure about the transformer. They have also encountered some difficulties and are seeking further assistance.
Luc
Hello guys,
I have to make a short circuit calculation for school but I am a bit lost.. I have a copy off the IEC61363 and internet connection as my help lines.

Homework Statement

The network consists of a generator feeding to switchboard A with a cable in between, on the same switchboard is a motor connected with another cable and there is a transformer connected to the switchboard (see image in attached file). There are also other motors on the switchboard but they can’t feed into the short circuit. I have marked the points where I want to calculate the short circuit current in the image in the attached file.

Homework Equations

I have no idea how I am going to put all those calculations in here, I've read the guidelines but I have to put this in a word document or else nobody is going to make sense of it anyway. In the file are the equations I used to calculate what I've done so far.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the following things:
Generator has a peak current of 28.5kA
Motor has peak current of 8.2kA calculations in attached file.

The 25 meter cable has R=0.206 and X=0.075 per 1000 meters and have 8 conductors in parallel per phase. For 25m this is R=0.00515 and X=0.001875
The 10 meter cable has R=0.206 and X=0.075 per 1000 meters and have 5 conductors in parallel per phase. For 10m this is R=0.00206 and X=0.000750
The 22 meter cable has R=0.206 and X=0.075 per 1000 meters and have 1 conductors in parallel per phase. For 22m this is R=0.004532 and X=0.00165
I assume I have to divide the R and X of each cable by the number of conductors in parallel.

I have tried adding the resistance and reactance of the 25 meter cable to the generators Ra and Xd (I thought I might be able to do this because the cable is parallel with the generator) but the answer I got wasn’t even close to the answer I got with my simulation software (SKM PowerToolsforWindows).
The peak current off generator and cable is 27136A
When I turn on the motor the peak current is 35218A
The current at the transformers secondary’s with both generator and motor on is 5972A.
The answer I got for the generator and cable with hand calculation is 28.4k just a smudge less then without the cable..

What is given about the transformer: 3 phase, S=125kVA, Uprim=690V, Usec=400V, Isec=180,5A, Uk=4%, F=50Hz.

I have also calculated the R and X of the transformer (calculation in attached file). The Rt=0,03 and the Xt=0,149 but same deal as with the cables I do not know how to go on nor can I find it on the internet.

When I started with this problem I thought I’ll have it done in under 1 hour but I was very wrong, I’m not even been able to solve it on my own so far.

The calculations of the transformer, generator and motor are in the attached file.

EDIT: I had been looking for the format for 'how to make a post' in this section for about 10 minutes, when I decided not to go by the format I found it when I opened the window for making a new thread.

Attachments

• Short circuit calculations small network.docx
    20 KB · Views: 253
  • Small network.png
    Small network.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
After some trial and error I decided I would try to calculate the drop in short circuit current using a version of (I^2)*R. I used S=(I^2)*Z*Root(3).
Those answers I got with that formula came really close to what my simulation says (error is about 1%).
So now I have calculated:
A=28542A
B=8124A
C=27141A
D=8051A
E=35192A
F=20198A

G I still do not know, so if anyone did not reply because they only knew G then this is your time to shine ;)

1. What is a short circuit calculation for small networks?

A short circuit calculation for small networks is a method used to determine the maximum amount of current that would flow through a network in the event of a short circuit. This calculation is important for ensuring the safety and reliability of the electrical system.

2. How is a short circuit calculated?

A short circuit is calculated by using Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a circuit is equal to the voltage divided by the resistance. By knowing the voltage and the resistance of the network, the maximum current can be determined.

3. What is the purpose of a generator in a short circuit calculation?

A generator is used in a short circuit calculation to simulate a short circuit in the network. This allows for accurate calculations to be made without actually causing a short circuit in the real system.

4. What is the role of a transformer in a short circuit calculation?

A transformer is used to step up or step down the voltage in the network. This is important in a short circuit calculation because the voltage is a key factor in determining the maximum current that would flow through the network.

5. Why is it important to perform a short circuit calculation for small networks?

A short circuit calculation is important for small networks because it helps to identify potential hazards and risks in the electrical system. By knowing the maximum current that could flow through the network, appropriate safety measures can be taken to prevent damage to equipment and ensure the safety of individuals working with the system.