Statics: tension in cable holding gate closed

In summary, the tension in the cable is 800LBs. The gate is hinged at B; the cable is attached at A. The attempt at a solution states that the water is 5.18 feet deep and that the gate is 1 foot wide.
SoylentBlue
Problem580Figure2.jpg
Problem580Figure2.jpg
Problem580Figure2.jpg
Problem580Figure2.jpg
1. Homework Statement
The tension in the cable is 800LBs. Find the depth of water that produces this tension. The gate is hinged at B; the cable is attached at A. (Figure 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, so this is just 2 opposing lever arms: the tension in the cable is pulling the gate closed (clockwise) and the pressure of the water is trying to open the gate (counter-clockwise).
So we start on the easy side.

Given the geometry, we know that the gate forms a 3/4/5 triangle and therefore the angle between the gate and the vertical is 36.8 degrees (Figure 5).
An 800-LB pull on the cable translates into a 480-LB pull perpendicular to the gate (Figure 2).
The cable's lever arm is therefore (480)(2.5)=1200 Ft-LBs.

This is opposed by the force of the water.

OK, so I cheated and looked at the answer in the book, and I still cannot see how they got this answer.

The book says that the water is 5.18 feet deep; we call this h.
h/3 is 1.727 feet; this is the centroid of the body of water.
So 1.727 feet from the bottom takes us .727 feet into our 3/4/5 triangle (Figure 4), which means that at this point the lever arm for the water is 1.6 (Figure 3).
The force of the water is (1/2)(gamma x h)(h) which is (1/2) (62.4 x 5.18)(5.18).
This equals 837 Lbs/Ft squared.
The torque exerted by the water is therefore (837)(1.6) = 1339 Ft-Lbs

And we were expecting 1200.

Where did I make a wrong turn?
Thank you in advance for any help:smile:
Problem580Figure1.jpg
Problem580Figure3.jpg
Problem580Figure4.jpg
Problem580Figure5.jpg
Problem580Figure2.jpg

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you draw the 5.18ft on your diagram? It is not clear where this dimension is taken from.

Also, how wide is the gate?

Last edited:
The depth of the water, which they are consistently calling h in the book, is supposed to be 5.18 feet to create the 800-LB tension in the cable.

For some reason, I am unable to upload another diagram, so I parked the diagram here:
http://www.firstbyteashville.com/images/problem580fig6.jpg
In this diagram, which applies to a similar problem, they show a 6-foot-deep pool of water.

In other similar problems in the book, when they do not specify otherwise, we assume the gate is 1 foot wide. So I have made that assumption here. Thank you again in advance.

First, I think the force you calculated is too high. You calculated the total horizontal load acting on a vertical surface that is 5.18ft high. You want the portion of the force acting on the gate only. See if you can come up with a better number for this.

For the center of pressure yp there is a formula that involves the moment of inertia I0:
yp = yc + I0/[A(yc)]

Have you seen this formula before?

1. How do you calculate the tension in a cable holding a gate closed?

The tension in a cable can be calculated using the formula T = (W/S) + (W*L/S), where T is the tension, W is the weight of the gate, S is the span of the cable, and L is the distance between the gate hinge and the cable attachment point.

2. What factors affect the tension in a cable holding a gate closed?

The tension in a cable is affected by the weight of the gate, the span of the cable, and the distance between the gate hinge and the cable attachment point. It can also be affected by external forces such as wind or other loads acting on the gate.

3. How does the angle of the cable affect the tension in a cable holding a gate closed?

The tension in a cable is directly proportional to the angle between the cable and the horizontal plane. As the angle of the cable increases, the tension in the cable also increases.

4. Can the tension in a cable holding a gate closed be greater than the weight of the gate?

Yes, the tension in a cable can be greater than the weight of the gate. This can occur if there are external forces acting on the gate, such as wind or other loads, in addition to the weight of the gate.

5. How can the tension in a cable holding a gate closed be reduced?

The tension in a cable can be reduced by decreasing the weight of the gate, increasing the span of the cable, or decreasing the distance between the gate hinge and the cable attachment point. External forces acting on the gate can also be reduced to decrease the tension in the cable.