Calculating capacitance from an AC circuit

In summary, the question is about finding the mistake in a method for determining the capacitance needed to cut the power consumption of a coffee maker in half by connecting a capacitor in series. The incorrect method involves using the formula for apparent power and assuming the voltage to be constant, while the correct method takes into account the power factor and the fact that half of the supply voltage is dropped across the heater and the other half across the capacitor.
imas145
This question is from my physics book and neither I nor my teacher can find the mistake in my method. (The original question is not in English so I'll do my best translating it)

> When a coffee maker is connected to the wall (230 V, 50 Hz) its power consumption is 180 W. The power consumption is wanted to cut in half by connecting a capacitor in series. How large should the capacitor's capacitance be?$$U=230 V, f=50 Hz, P_1=180W, P_2=90W, X_L=0$$
$$P_1=UI=RI^2=R(\frac{U}{R})^2=\frac{U^2}{R} \leftrightarrow PZ^2=RU^2 \leftrightarrow P=\frac{RU^2}{Z^2}$$
$$Z_1=\sqrt{R^2+(X_L-X_C)^2}=\sqrt{R^2}=R=\frac{U^2}{P_1}$$
$$Z_2=\sqrt{R^2+(X_L-X_C)^2} = \sqrt{R^2+X_C^2}=\sqrt{R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}}$$
$$Z=\frac{U}{I} \leftrightarrow ZI=U \leftrightarrow I=\frac{U}{Z}$$

My method

$$P_1=2P_2$$
$$UI_1=2UI_2$$
$$I_1=2I_2$$
$$\frac{U}{Z_1}=\frac{2U}{Z_2}$$
$$\frac{1}{Z_1}=\frac{2}{Z_2}$$
$$2Z_1=Z_2$$
$$2Z_1=\sqrt{R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}}$$
$$R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=4Z_1^2$$
$$\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=4Z_1^2-R^2$$
$$4\pi^2f^2C^2(4Z_1^2-R^2)=1$$
$$C^2=\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2(4Z_1^2-R^2)}$$
$$C=\frac{1}{2\pi f\sqrt{4Z_1^2-R^2}}$$

Correct method

$$P_1=2P_2$$
$$\frac{U^2}{Z_1}=\frac{2RU^2}{Z_2^2}$$
$$2Z_1^2=Z_2^2$$
$$2R^2=R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=R^2$$
$$C=\frac{1}{2\pi fR}$$

As you can see, my answer differs by that I have $$\sqrt{4Z_1^2-R^2}$$ in the denominator, whereas the correct solution only has $$R$$. I can follow the correct method and I'm fairly sure all the algebra in my solution is also correct, so the mistake is most likely a theoretical one. My question is then: why did my method fail? My guess is that it has something to do with the phase difference because the second circuit has a capacitor as well as a resistor while the first one only has the resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
imas145 said:
why did my method fail?
imas145 said:
This question is from my physics book and neither I nor my teacher can find the mistake in my method. (The original question is not in English so I'll do my best translating it)

> When a coffee maker is connected to the wall (230 V, 50 Hz) its power consumption is 180 W. The power consumption is wanted to cut in half by connecting a capacitor in series. How large should the capacitor's capacitance be?$$U=230 V, f=50 Hz, P_1=180W, P_2=90W, X_L=0$$
$$P_1=UI=RI^2=R(\frac{U}{R})^2=\frac{U^2}{R} \leftrightarrow PZ^2=RU^2 \leftrightarrow P=\frac{RU^2}{Z^2}$$
$$Z_1=\sqrt{R^2+(X_L-X_C)^2}=\sqrt{R^2}=R=\frac{U^2}{P_1}$$
$$Z_2=\sqrt{R^2+(X_L-X_C)^2} = \sqrt{R^2+X_C^2}=\sqrt{R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}}$$
$$Z=\frac{U}{I} \leftrightarrow ZI=U \leftrightarrow I=\frac{U}{Z}$$

My method

$$P_1=2P_2$$
$$UI_1=2UI_2$$ Is this equation correct?
$$I_1=2I_2$$
$$\frac{U}{Z_1}=\frac{2U}{Z_2}$$
$$\frac{1}{Z_1}=\frac{2}{Z_2}$$
$$2Z_1=Z_2$$
$$2Z_1=\sqrt{R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}}$$
$$R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=4Z_1^2$$
$$\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=4Z_1^2-R^2$$
$$4\pi^2f^2C^2(4Z_1^2-R^2)=1$$
$$C^2=\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2(4Z_1^2-R^2)}$$
$$C=\frac{1}{2\pi f\sqrt{4Z_1^2-R^2}}$$

Correct method

$$P_1=2P_2$$
$$\frac{U^2}{Z_1}=\frac{2RU^2}{Z_2^2}$$
$$2Z_1^2=Z_2^2$$
$$2R^2=R^2+\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{4\pi^2f^2C^2}=R^2$$
$$C=\frac{1}{2\pi fR}$$

As you can see, my answer differs by that I have $$\sqrt{4Z_1^2-R^2}$$ in the denominator, whereas the correct solution only has $$R$$. I can follow the correct method and I'm fairly sure all the algebra in my solution is also correct, so the mistake is most likely a theoretical one. My question is then: why did my method fail? My guess is that it has something to do with the phase difference because the second circuit has a capacitor as well as a resistor while the first one only has the resistor.

The math may have become unnecessarily complex.

Another approach:
  1. Calculate heater resistance from the given voltage and wattage rating.
  2. Power is cut in half when Xc equals heater resistance. Xc=Rheater
  3. Xc=1/(2πfC). Rearrange to solve for C.
C=1/(2πfXc)

Likes imas145 and cnh1995
Would the correct equation then be ##P=UIcos\theta## where ##\theta## is the phase difference, hence making my approach unusable since I don't know the phase difference?

imas145 said:
Would the correct equation then be ##P=UIcos\theta## where ##\theta## is the phase difference, hence making my approach unusable since I don't know the phase difference?
No. You have assumed the voltage to be same in both the cases. Is that correct?

cnh1995 said:
No. You have assumed the voltage to be same in both the cases. Is that correct?
I think so, since it’s plugged into the wall which supplies 230 volts

Ok, I was assuming U to be the voltage across the coffee-maker and not the supply voltage. If you are assuming U to be 230V, then you're right you should include cosθ in your equation.
imas145 said:
I think so, since it’s plugged into the wall which supplies 230 volts
The active power in the circuit i.e. the power dissipated in the coffee maker is halved. You have assumed U=230V, means you wrote the equation for the "apparent power" in the circuit. Add power factor in the equation.

imas145 said:
No, that wasn't it. I believe the formula @cnh1995 highlighted in red is where things went wrong.

imas145 said:
As you can see, my answer differs by that I have

##\sqrt{4Z_1^2-R^2}##

in the denominator, whereas the correct solution only has R

Asymptotic said:
Power is cut in half when Xc equals heater resistance. Xc=Rheater
This load is an impedance consisting of the series connected heater resistance, and capacitive reactance. To reduce heater power in two, Z must be twice the heater resistance (that is, heater resistance plus capacitive reactance = Z). Half of the supply voltage is dropped across the heater, and the other half is dropped across the capacitor.

65e7b1fe3101d47d559007af1409b65b9eaf0ebf

In a circuit built with an actual (non-ideal) resistance and capacitance it may be necessary to consider the minor role inductance and capacitance have in the heater, inductive and resistive properties of the capacitor, and factor in their resulting phase shifts, but in this ideal case Xc=Rheater, and is why the correct solution only had R in the formula ##C=\frac{1}{2\pi fR}##

Edit:I'm forgetting the basics in my dotage; what I said above is wrong - It is NOT half of the supply voltage.
In a capacitor, current leads voltage by 90°. It is the vectoral sum of resistor and capacitor voltage that adds up to the supply voltage. Working back from calculated element resistance (180W at 230V) unless I've boogered it up again, Vr and Vc are both 162.7 volts with the capacitor added.

Last edited:

1. How do I calculate capacitance from an AC circuit?

To calculate capacitance from an AC circuit, you will need to know the frequency of the alternating current, the voltage across the capacitor, and the current through the capacitor. You can then use the formula C = I/(2πfV) to determine the capacitance.

2. What is the difference between calculating capacitance from an AC circuit and a DC circuit?

The main difference between calculating capacitance from an AC circuit and a DC circuit is that in an AC circuit, the current and voltage are constantly changing. This means that the capacitance must be calculated using the peak values of current and voltage, rather than the average values as in a DC circuit.

3. Can I calculate capacitance from an AC circuit without knowing the frequency?

No, the frequency is a crucial component in calculating capacitance from an AC circuit. Without the frequency, you will not be able to determine the reactance of the capacitor, which is necessary for the calculation.

4. How does the capacitance affect the behavior of an AC circuit?

The capacitance in an AC circuit can affect the phase relationship between the voltage and the current. It is also responsible for storing and releasing energy as the current and voltage change. The higher the capacitance, the more energy can be stored and released.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating capacitance from an AC circuit?

Calculating capacitance from an AC circuit is essential in designing and analyzing various electronic circuits, such as filters, amplifiers, and power supplies. It is also used in determining the power factor of a circuit, which is important in optimizing energy efficiency.