Unknown circuit in a black box

In summary, the circuit looks like this: There is a resistor, ##R##, and a capacitor, ##C##. The resistor has the value of ##100 \Omega## and the capacitor has the value of ##9.7 \cdot 10^{-4}F##.
Lambda96
Homework Statement
What does the circuit look like and what are the values of resistor ##R## and capacitance ##C##?
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I am not sure if I have calculated the task correctly

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-07 um 12.53.12.png

I have now assumed that the capacitor does not need to be charged and is therefore fully charged. In a DC circuit, a capacitor acts like an infinitely large resistor or like an open switch, so I assumed that it is a parallel circuit and that it looks like this.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-06-11 um 11.59.27.png

The resistor then has the following value ##R=100 \Omega##.

Using the impedance and the value for ##R##, I can then calculate the value for ##C##.

The value for the impedance in parallel circuit is

$$|Z|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^-2+\omega^2 C^2}}$$

##C## can then be calculated as follows

$$C=\frac{R^2-Z^2}{R \omega z}$$

If I now substitute all the values into the above formula, I get the following ##C=9.7 \cdot 10^{-4}F##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lambda96 said:
ƒHomework Statement: What does the circuit look like and what are the values of resistor ##R## and capacitance ##C##?
Relevant Equations: none

Hi,

I am not sure if I have calculated the task correctly

View attachment 327711
I have now assumed that the capacitor does not need to be charged and is therefore fully charged. In a DC circuit, a capacitor acts like an infinitely large resistor or like an open switch, so I assumed that it is a parallel circuit and that it looks like this.

View attachment 327712

The resistor then has the following value ##R=100 \Omega##.

Using the impedance and the value for ##R##, I can then calculate the value for ##C##.

The value for the impedance in parallel circuit is

$$|Z|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^-2+\omega^2 C^2}}$$

##C## can then be calculated as follows

$$C=\frac{R^2-Z^2}{R \omega z}$$

If I now substitute all the values into the above formula, I get the following ##C=9.7 \cdot 10^{-4}F##.
It looks like you used frequency, ƒ, rather than angular frequency. Remember, ##\omega=2\pi f ## .

LaTeX tip:
To write ##R^{-2}## rather than ##R^-2##, place the ##-2## in braces { }, e.g. ##\{ -2 \}## .

Likes Lambda96 and berkeman
Thanks SammyS for your help and for looking over my calculation, thanks also for the tip on how to write ##R^{-2}## in latex 👍 👍👍

You are right, unfortunately I used the frequency of ##50Hz## in the calculation instead of ##\omega=2 \pi 50Hz##. Then the result for ##C## is as follows, ##C=0.015 F##

Lambda96 said:
Thanks SammyS for your help and for looking over my calculation, thanks also for the tip on how to write ##R^{-2}## in latex 👍 👍👍

You are right, unfortunately I used the frequency of ##50Hz## in the calculation instead of ##\omega=2 \pi 50Hz##. Then the result for ##C## is as follows, ##C=0.015 F##
The decimal point is in the wrong place.

Simply divide your original answer by ##2\pi## .

Likes Lambda96

1. What is a black box circuit?

A black box circuit is a term used to describe a circuit or electronic device where the internal components and workings are not visible or accessible. It is often used to protect intellectual property or to simplify the design of a complex circuit.

2. How does a black box circuit work?

The exact workings of a black box circuit are unknown, as the internal components and connections are not visible. However, it is designed to perform a specific function or task, and the inputs and outputs can be observed and measured.

3. Can the internal components of a black box circuit be identified?

In most cases, no. The internal components of a black box circuit are purposely hidden or obscured. Reverse engineering techniques may be used to try and identify the components, but this is often difficult and not always successful.

4. How can I troubleshoot a black box circuit?

Since the internal components and workings of a black box circuit are not visible, troubleshooting can be challenging. It is best to focus on the inputs and outputs and test for any abnormalities or errors. If possible, referring to the manufacturer's documentation or seeking assistance from an expert may also be helpful.

5. Are there any risks associated with using a black box circuit?

The use of a black box circuit may pose some risks, as the internal components and workings are unknown. If the circuit is not properly designed or tested, it may not function correctly and could potentially cause harm or damage. It is important to thoroughly research and trust the manufacturer before using a black box circuit.