Calculating Car's Fall into Ocean from Cliff

In summary: I still don't see what else I can find from this information in the problem like a distance or angle it was hit at.You don't need to know the distance or angle. Just use the equations I gave you to solve for the time it takes for the car to fall.
Adam900

Homework Statement

A car is parked on a cliff overlooking the ocean on an incline that makes an angle of 25.0° below the horizontal. The negligent driver leaves the car in neutral, and the emergency brakes are defective. The car rolls from rest down the incline with a constant acceleration of 3.97 m/s2 for a distance of 30.0 m to the edge of the cliff. The cliff is 50.0 m above the ocean.
(a) Find the car's position relative to the base of the cliff when the car lands in the ocean
______m
(b) Find the length of time the car is in the air.
___________s

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure what to do I made pictures in all ways but can't see what I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the basic equations of motion.
[itex]x = x_0 + v_0t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/itex]
[itex]v = v_0 + at[/itex]
Find the speed at the end of the cliff. (Do the work yourself)
[itex]v = a\sqrt{2s/a} = \sqrt{2sa}[/itex]

Now this vector is pointing down in an angle [itex]\theta[/itex]. Divide this vector into x-component and y-component using trigonometry. If air resistance can be neglected, x speed will remain the same for the whole time but v speed will keep increasing due to gravity. Try and ask for more help if necessary.

Last edited:
Alright can you explain this that has no numbers to put into equations.

A home run is hit in a baseball game. The ball is hit from home base into the center field stands, along a parabolic path. What is the acceleration of the ball at each of the following points? (Ignore air resistance.)
(a) while it is rising
___m/s2
(b) at the highest point of the trajectory
___ m/s2
(c) while it is descending after reaching the highest point
____m/s2

Hello Adam900,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
Adam900 said:
Alright can you explain this that has no numbers to put into equations.

A home run is hit in a baseball game. The ball is hit from home base into the center field stands, along a parabolic path. What is the acceleration of the ball at each of the following points? (Ignore air resistance.)
(a) while it is rising
___m/s2
(b) at the highest point of the trajectory
___ m/s2
(c) while it is descending after reaching the highest point
____m/s2
In the future, please start a new thread for a new question.

But I'll give you a hint anyway. At each point, what is(are) the force(s) acting on the ball? (You get to ignore air resistance, so forget about that one.) Is(are) any particular acceleration(s) associated with said force(s)?

(Remember Newton's second law. An object isn't going to accelerate unless forces are acting upon it. :wink:)

Hmm so Vi would be 0 and acceleration/gravity would be -9.8? I still don't see what else I can find from this information in the problem like a distance or angle it was hit at.

[PLAIN]http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/5674/carpic.png

You know [itex]v = \sqrt{2sa}[/itex]
Thus [itex]v_x = vcos(\theta) = \sqrt{2sa}cos(\theta)[/itex]
and [itex]v_y = vsin(\theta) = \sqrt{2sa}sin(\theta)[/itex]

There's some more help. Use [itex]v_y[/itex] to find the time it takes for the car to fall to the ocean.
Remember the equations of motion.

Oh and just to clarify, s = the distance the car rolls down the hill = 30m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam900 said:
Hmm so Vi would be 0
Well, no, the velocity isn't zero. But the question isn't asking about the velocity.
and acceleration/gravity would be -9.8?
There you go. :approve:

1. What is two dimensional motion?

Two dimensional motion refers to the movement of an object in two different directions, typically horizontal and vertical. This type of motion can be described using vectors, which include both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is two dimensional motion different from one-dimensional motion?

In one-dimensional motion, an object is only moving in one direction, usually along a straight line. In two dimensional motion, an object is moving in two directions, meaning it has both horizontal and vertical components to its motion.

3. What is the equation for calculating the displacement of an object in two dimensional motion?

The equation for calculating displacement in two dimensional motion is d = (dx2 + dy2)1/2, where dx and dy represent the horizontal and vertical displacement, respectively.

4. How can we represent two dimensional motion graphically?

Two dimensional motion can be represented graphically using a position vs. time graph, where the horizontal axis represents time and the vertical axis represents position. The motion of an object can be shown as a line or curve on this graph, with the slope of the line indicating its velocity.

5. What are some real-world examples of two dimensional motion?

Some real-world examples of two dimensional motion include a ball being thrown in the air, a plane flying in the sky, or a car driving on a curved road. Any object that moves in two different directions at the same time is exhibiting two dimensional motion.