Calculating Centre of Mass on a Board on Ice

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a person stands on one end of a board resting on a frictionless ice surface. The person then walks to the center of the board and stops, causing the board to move in the opposite direction. The question is how far the person has moved from their starting position. After some discussion and calculations, the conclusion is that the person has moved a distance of (l/2)(1 - (m)/(2(M+m)).
Omnie
Board on Ice

1. A person of mass M is standing at one end of a board of mass m and length l. The board rests upon a frictionless ice surface and it's mass is uniformly distributed along its length. Calculate how far from the person, d, the centre of mass is of the system. The person then walks to the centre of the board and stops (assuming friction is enough). How far from his starting position (relative to the ice surface) has he moved?

2. centre of mass = 1/M[tex]\Sigma[/tex]mr

The Attempt at a Solution

All right, the centre of mass is easy to calculate and it's just (ml)/(2(M+m) and I didn't have problems with that. It's the next part which I am unsure of the correct answer. My friends have got an answer of (ml)/(2(M+m) as his total distance moved but I get a slightly different answer of (l/2)(1 - (m)/(M+m)).

My reasoning is that it has to be slightly less then (l/2) as he walks that distance on the board but the board has moved in the opposite direction so the distance from the original starting point is slightly less.

The answer of (ml)/(2(M+m)) seems obvious and I'm not 100% it's that or am I just over thinking a simple question?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer of (ml)/(2(M+m)) seems obvious

Your friends are wrong. As the surface is frictionless, there are no horizontal forces acting on the (man+board) system. Hence, as the person's CM moves to the left (say he was standing on the right end of the board), the board must move to the right. Hence, the person and the board "meet somewhere in the middle". Sort of a conveyor belt.

See if this new insight helps you with your solution.

--------
Assaf
http://www.physicallyincorrect.com/"

Last edited by a moderator:
ozymandias said:
Your friends are wrong. As the surface is frictionless, there are no horizontal forces acting on the (man+board) system. Hence, as the person's CM moves to the left (say he was standing on the right end of the board), the board must move to the right. Hence, the person and the board "meet somewhere in the middle". Sort of a conveyor belt.

See if this new insight helps you with your solution.

--------
Assaf

Yah, that's exactly the reasoning I used to get an answer of (l/2)(1 - (m)/(2(M+m)). I'll try to recheck my answer again to see if I've made any mistake. Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

If you will detail your solution I could point out any mistakes I see.

--------
Assaf

Related to Calculating Centre of Mass on a Board on Ice

1. How is the centre of mass calculated on a board on ice?

The centre of mass on a board on ice can be calculated by finding the point where the weight of the board and the weight of the person standing on it are evenly distributed.

2. What factors affect the calculation of the centre of mass on a board on ice?

The factors that affect the calculation of the centre of mass on a board on ice include the weight of the board, the weight and distribution of the person standing on the board, and the friction between the board and the ice.

3. Is the centre of mass always located at the geometric centre of the board?

No, the centre of mass may not always be located at the geometric centre of the board. It depends on the distribution of weight on the board and can vary based on different factors.

4. How does the centre of mass affect the stability of a person standing on a board on ice?

The centre of mass plays a crucial role in the stability of a person standing on a board on ice. If the centre of mass is located within the base of support, the person will have better balance and stability. However, if the centre of mass is outside the base of support, the person will be more prone to falling.

5. Can the centre of mass on a board on ice be moved?

Yes, the centre of mass on a board on ice can be moved by changing the distribution of weight on the board. For example, if the person shifts their weight to one side of the board, the centre of mass will also shift towards that side.